Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cold smoke bacon questions

2»

Comments

• MikeP624MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Thanks for all your help. Off to the store to getthe rest of my ingredient
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,122
    billyray said:
    I'm doing Centex pig candy right now, should be done in about a 1/2 hour. Will post pics. I sampled one and boy was it good!
    yeah buddy. That stuff is awesome. like crack

Here's the pig candy. @250 for 3 hours, next time will try 250 for 2 hours.
    bacon4.jpg 96.8K
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • FockerFocker Posts: 1,937

Lookin' good billyray.

Haven't looked at this recipe, but what is the benefit of cubing the bacon as opposed to the traditional strips with a liberal coating of brown sugar, chiles, crushed pecans, etc?

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    Hollin' bout huh, egga what!?  Huh, give a Fock egga what!?
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,122
    I only cubed the pieces I cut off to square up the slab for slicing. I had to pull them away from my wife, like Centex said they are like crack.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,712
    edited January 2013
    you can absolutely use strips for pig candy and "millionaire bacon" but I use the odds and ends for that stuff. Strips are just as good but I cube up the odd bits as lardons and slow roast them for many things. Pig candy is good but lardons make great soup/bean flavorings, bacon bits, and tons of other stuff. I always try to get a pound of lardons out of a full belly

·
  • FockerFocker Posts: 1,937
    Thanks guys.  Aware of lardons, didn't know if the cubes create a different texture when made into pig candy?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    Hollin' bout huh, egga what!?  Huh, give a Fock egga what!?
    ·
  • Focker said:
    Thanks guys.  Aware of lardons, didn't know if the cubes create a different texture when made into pig candy?

They do have a different texture. Crispy outside, gooey middle. yum

·