Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cold smoke bacon questions

2»

Comments

• MikeP624MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Thanks for all your help. Off to the store to getthe rest of my ingredient
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,121
    billyray said:
    I'm doing Centex pig candy right now, should be done in about a 1/2 hour. Will post pics. I sampled one and boy was it good!
    yeah buddy. That stuff is awesome. like crack

Here's the pig candy. @250 for 3 hours, next time will try 250 for 2 hours.
    bacon4.jpg 96.8K
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • FockerFocker Posts: 1,745

Lookin' good billyray.

Haven't looked at this recipe, but what is the benefit of cubing the bacon as opposed to the traditional strips with a liberal coating of brown sugar, chiles, crushed pecans, etc?

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    Hollin' bout huh, egga what!?  Huh, give a Fock egga what!?
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,121
    I only cubed the pieces I cut off to square up the slab for slicing. I had to pull them away from my wife, like Centex said they are like crack.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,498
    edited January 2013
    you can absolutely use strips for pig candy and "millionaire bacon" but I use the odds and ends for that stuff. Strips are just as good but I cube up the odd bits as lardons and slow roast them for many things. Pig candy is good but lardons make great soup/bean flavorings, bacon bits, and tons of other stuff. I always try to get a pound of lardons out of a full belly

·
  • FockerFocker Posts: 1,745
    Thanks guys.  Aware of lardons, didn't know if the cubes create a different texture when made into pig candy?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    Hollin' bout huh, egga what!?  Huh, give a Fock egga what!?
    ·
  • Focker said:
    Thanks guys.  Aware of lardons, didn't know if the cubes create a different texture when made into pig candy?

They do have a different texture. Crispy outside, gooey middle. yum

·