Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Wings - need recipe and advice

I need a good recipe for wings. I like spicy, and like my wings crispy so was thinking raised direct. Any suggestions? Also is there enough mass to measure the temp with Thermapen?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• BoilereggerBoileregger Posts: 235
    edited January 2013
    I toss in canola oil to help get crisp amd help the dry rub stick. I rub and let sit for 5 to 10 min and then go raised direct at 400 to 450 and turn every 10 min or so until they are cooked through. I'll probably get flamed for this, but I don't check temp on them, I go by feel. If they are firm and crisp they are done. I then take them and toss them in Frank's red hot wing sauce, then put them back on for 5 min, flip and cook another 5 min. Depending on how I'm feeling, I may give them another quick toss in sauce, but not always. I've always had great results with this method. But there are many different opinions on wings.
  • trip150trip150 Posts: 28
    I do a light paprika coating, then a light coat of corn starch and air dry in the fridge for an hour. Then 400* indirect for 30 min, flip and another 20 min, then coat with sauce for another 10 (30/20/10 method). I've been experimenting with time and temp to get the wings cooked just right - it really depends on the size of the wing and consistency of temp to get them cooked the way I like (slightly crispy). This has worked the best for a crispy wing for me without drying them out. I've tried direct heat and the inconsistent temp and potential for burning some wings requires the platesetter IMO. I did these wings on New Years in the snow with three sauces and they turned out great.
    image.jpg
    2048 x 1536 - 867K
    image.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 676K
  • NecessaryIndulgNecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,012
    edited January 2013
    Many roads lead to great wings and there is a ton of great advice on here.

I like my wings crispy, too. I coat them with a few seasonings, then corn starch, and then air dry in the refrigerator like @trip150.

Cook raised direct for about an hour at ~300, cooking the majority of the time skin up.

Chicken Wings on The Big Green Egg  Chicken Wings Chicken Wings
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 12,819
    Kristi I never thought of doing the corn starch that way. I did it once and found it lumpy and never tried the corn starch again. Very cool of you.....
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini....

• TFolsTFols Posts: 150
    I used this recipe that was posted @SamFarrise. Made these wings on Christmas Eve and they were a huge hit. Jamaican Jerk Marinade/Sauce 5 scallions (green onions) 5 sprigs of fresh thyme (about 1 tablespoon chopped) 2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon black pepper 1 tablespoon brown sugar 2 teaspoon ground allspice 1 teaspoon nutmeg 1 teaspoon cinnamon 2 Scotch Bonnet peppers (Habanera) 1/3 cup soy sauce 2 tablespoon vegetable oil 1/4 cup vinegar 1 onion 1/2 cup orange juice 2 cloves garlic 1 teaspoon grated ginger BTW..thanks for posting that Sam.