Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Spaghetti alla Carbonara

I'll throw this out there since there are some food lovers that hang around the board, but I put in the OT section because none of it was done on the egg, alhough I suppose it could be...Followed traditional recipe except I substituted my home cured pancetta for the guanciale. image image image Ingredients 8 ounces guanciale, diced 1 pound spaghetti 2 large eggs 1 cup Pecorino Romano, freshly grated Directions: In a large pan, fry the guanciale over medium-high heat until rendered and crisp, about 10 minutes. Beat eggs and pecorino together in a small bowl with a fork and set aside. Cook the spaghetti to al dente, then drain, return to pot, toss with guanciale and rendered fat over low heat and immediately transfer to shallow bowls. Pour egg/cheese mixture over each of the four bowls, add black pepper to taste and quickly mix with a fork to slightly cook the eggs with the hot pasta. The result should be creamy, not dry. Serve immediately.
·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,421
    Hell yeah!  That's doing it right.  Looks great Quinn, and that pancetta looks like it came out great.  Mine looks like a science experiment from the biology department.

·
  • This is one of the only pasta dishes I'll eat.  Looks & sounds fantastic! =P~
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
    ·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Thanks Nola and Kristi. It's a favorite pasta in our house too...really, its the only way I can get my wife to eat eggs that aren't cooked to death...now, where is that weight loss thread??
    ·
  • Kristi (Necessary Indulgences) put me on to this prior to my Italy trip last September.  I ate it in Sorrento whilst gazing at Mt. Vesuvius and loved it.  I will be eternally grateful to Kristi for this !!!!!!   ^:)^

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,018
    I've mixed the whole dish with the eggs in the main pot, haven't tried mixing in the serving bowls, will try that, thanks!  
    (and now I'm hungry again...)

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
    less of a chance of cooking the eggs too much doing it in serving bowls...
    ·
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    This shouldn't be off topic. Well done. Big fan of this, have to make pancetta. What is the difference?
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,258

MQ,

Looks awesome! You have to cure some pig face and try it. stike brought some to our last fishing trip and zippy made the pasta with it. Man it was good!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    IrishDevl said:
    This shouldn't be off topic. Well done. Big fan of this, have to make pancetta. What is the difference?

pancetta is rolled(typically, but can be dried flat) and tied up and hung to dry for a few weeks. never sees any smoke like bacon...strong flavors like juniper berries are commonly used in the cure.

MQ,

Looks awesome! You have to cure some pig face and try it. stike brought some to our last fishing trip and zippy made the pasta with it. Man it was good!

sounds really good...I'm going looking for the jowls tomorrow...might have to order if too hard to find.
    ·
    So what is guanciale? I do know pancetta
    ·

They taste like bacon butter.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    Basically the same thing, but its cured pig cheeks/jowls instead of belly
    ·
  • It's from the pig's cheek -- it's amazing.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
    ·
    I have to try and get that. Will check with my butcher.
    ·
    They sell big ol' bags of pig cheeks at our Sam's Club - shouldn't be too hard to find.

·
    That's good to know...I'm a member at Restaurant Depot and Costco...not Sam's, but I will be tomorrow if need be. I'm already going to RD for bellies, salmon, and duck breast...hopefully I can find the cheeks there so it's a one stop shopping trip. Ready to cold smoke with the small/large/dryer vent hose method.
    ·
    Cool, cheeks sound a little nasty to me, but that's just in my head.  I'd try them. 

I just spent and hour and half slicing and packaging up 12 pounds of bacon.  This stuff is a lot of work, need to do large quantities to make it a sustainable part of home cooking.  But man, that bacon is unbelievable!  Cold then hot smoked the bacon with apple and cherry.  Great smokey taste.

·
    Man they look a little wierd but a taste will get ya over it

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    Here's tonight's bacon operation.  Sorry to hijack. 
    imageimage

·
    Dayum dude!! That looks great.
    ·
    Thanks Quinn - it's Duroc - kind of fatty but the taste is insanely good.  Friend who works at Restaurant August got it for me - it's what they use.  I did half of it savory, half a brown sugar/ground pecan.  Got almost 9 pounds after starting with 12 and cutting off the skin, moisture loss during cure.  My first bacon batch and it exceeded expectations. :)

·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Dayum dude!! That looks great.
    +1 awesome!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • This is the carbonara I had at a restaurant in Sorrento, Italy

This is what was left.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
    I guess you weren't hungry. THere is 1/8 noodle left.
    ·

Here's tonight's bacon operation.  Sorry to hijack. 
    imageimage

Very nice. Do you have a slicer? Looks perfectly cut. Duroc pork is one of my faves.
    ·
    Yep, have a meat slicer.  Sucks to clean, but makes short work of jobs like this.

·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,018
    What slicer do you have, Nola?  I bought a cheepie on Black Friday and returned it, but the idea of having a slicer is planted now... 

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
    Botch said:
    What slicer do you have, Nola?  I bought a cheepie on Black Friday and returned it, but the idea of having a slicer is planted now... 
    I bought a

Chef's Choice 615 Premium Electric Food Slicer

·