Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

more than one way to skin a cat (raise a grid)

Options
tinman
tinman Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
when I bought my first egg, the local retailer had no suggestions other than "man, those eggs are awesome". spoken from a salesman on commission. it was not until my third visit to the retailer before some salesman mentioned that some folks were obsessed with the egg and there is even a forum. imagine that! I read about indirect cooks and needed a way other than a plate setter ( my wife wouldn't let me spend another dime because the year before I bought a new gasser).As with almost anything, you rely on your trade when you can. I used granite scrap.
DSC04011.jpg
when cooking at single level, I start with the grill on top of the fire ring. If I'm cooking on two grids, I put my first grid between the fire box and fire ring.
DSC04012.jpg
two pieces of 4x6 granite fits the small. I have a 12x12 for my large.
DSC04013.jpg
then I put small granite spacers on the edge to hold the next grid.
DSC04014.jpg
obviously the cooking grid goes next. when cooking on two levels, the beauty is that you just use the grid lifter to lift first grid, flip, rotate, etc the food on lower grid and then place top grid back down for tending.[p]how do you come across granite??? our company disposes of 30 tons of granite per month. most fabricators would gladly cut some small pcs to make a friend and possible customer. the key, take the fabricator something cooked on the BGE after his act of kindness.[p]anyone interested in scrap pcs, I can bring to Eggtoberfest for you.[p]I now have purchased a "GRATEMATE" and use this way as well.[p]Jorge

Comments

• Dr_Redwine
    Dr_Redwine Posts: 189
    Options
    tinman,
    I'll take 20 tons. Large pieces, please. ;)
    DrR

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    tinman,[p]What's that saying about "Necessity.. being the Mother of invention?[p]That sure looks like it'd work to me!![p]On another front....[p]I'm having some granite counters put in soon...sure wish I could bring them back in a suitcase from Eggtoberfest!![p]Maybe a big suitcase...huh?[p]Evans[p]
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • tinman
    Options
    Dr_Redwine,
    well, we could glue the pcs together.....

• tinman
    Options
    Chubby,
    if you need some info on granite or even to check your decision. please e-mail me. love what I do.[p]jorge

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    tinman,[p]Man, where were you when I needed you 4 years ago in South Florida?!!!! What an ordeal we had :([p]If I ever do it again I'll email YOU first LOL![p]Happy Egging,[p]DD[p]
  • Dr_Redwine
    Dr_Redwine Posts: 189
    Options
    tinman,
    LOL.
    DrR

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    tinman,[p]Will do!![p]Is this a cool Forum...or what?[p]Thanks..[p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Options
    tinman,
    That's funny what you were sayin about your grill store's salesmen. We have the same situation here in Nashville. I do a better job of selling the Egg to customers in their store than THEY do. It's actually happened twice now where I've overheard a customer asking "what's that egg thing?" The salesman was not nearly excited about it, so I kinda stepped in a little more enthusiastically ; )[p]I believe one of the biggest selling points of the BGE is this forum. And a lot of salesmen don't even realize they could be selling this community as a huge benefit...

• tinman
    Options
    Tractor,
    dido.
    Jorge