Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newfoundland EggHeads?

truenewfie
truenewfie Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,

I'm wondering if there are anyother EggHeads on here living in Newfoundland. I'm in Paradise myself and would love to arrange some kind of Newfoundland BGE CookOff, just for fun of course.

Any takers?

Jason

Comments

• Hmmmmmmm. I'm married to a Newfie. Do I count?
    BGE cook out on George St in St. John's would certainly be interesting. Yes, by! :woohoo: But I'd need to get "Screeched In". :lol:
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    You guys talk funny up there! :woohoo:
  • Still looking for Newfoundland Egg Heads. If you got em, smoke em. :-)
  • Bye, We try not to let them in. I mean really how many cod tongues and fish and brewis can you cook on and egg eh?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Hey truenewfie!!!

While I'm not a egg owner yet I am planning on a large egg come fathers day.How you like your egg especially with our snowy cold climate? Must not be many eggers on the rock is there?

I'm out on the west coast of NL in Stephenville!!!

Merry xmas and enjoy the egg!!!

Jamie.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Hey truenewfie!!!

While I'm not a egg owner yet I am planning on a large egg come fathers day.How you like your egg especially with our snowy cold climate? Must not be many eggers on the rock is there?

Jamie.
    Geez, your weather is balmy considering Little Steven is in Ontario and Jackie is in the Peg. Lots of us Canucks here, not many Newf's, Hokie Smoker has a Newf, named Merle - nice dog. 

Merry Christmas guys, and welcome to the forum - from the other Coast, Delta BC.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Hey truenewfie!!!

Jamie.
    Geez, your weather is balmy considering Little Steven is in Ontario and Jackie is in the Peg. Lots of us Canucks here, not many Newf's, Hokie Smoker has a Newf, named Merle - nice dog. 

Merry Christmas guys, and welcome to the forum - from the other Coast, Delta BC.

Merle the Newfoundland is in North Carolina. But his Step-Grandfather, my mother's husband, is from London, Ontario who just happens to now live in SC. If the people Newfie's are as warm & kind as the Newfie dog, I'd consider visiting up north for a cook off.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• @Hokie_Smoker said:
    Merle the Newfoundland is in North Carolina. But his Step-Grandfather, my mother's husband, is from London, Ontario who just happens to now live in SC. If the people Newfie's are as warm & kind as the Newfie dog, I'd consider visiting up north for a cook off.

They are Hokie, warmest most down home folks you will ever meet. I worked in Cornerbrook, the Crossing and some other smaller places installing for Avalon Tel. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,358
    I'm from Ontario but I have been "screeched in". I have also sampled Cod tongues!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited December 2012
    Have been thinking that would be a wonderful trip even to the point of calling Little Steven one night for information. Sure hope it happens. Looks like they have those things we don't in Texas called TREEs.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• misu
    misu Posts: 213
    I have a newfoundland dog, does that count? :)
  • Mickey said:
    Have been thinking that would be a wonderful trip even to the point of calling Little Steven one night for information. Sure hope it happens. Looks like they have those things we don't in Texas called TREEs.
    Many folks from Newfoundland/Labrador visiting the PNW comment that the ferry ride through the islands, from Vancouver to Victoria, reminds them of the Rock (a local term for Newfoundland), it does look very similar. My brother and sister in law are taking a 10 day vacation there this year. 
    There are no trees in some spots, Gros Morne is a UNESCO site, like Alaska - raw beauty. 

• Glad to hear from some fello Canuks. I have been to Newfoundland once and have dreamed of returning ever since. How cool would it be to tell people you live in Paradise? I am from Meadow Lake Saskatchewan myself and we consider it God's country up here, lots of forest and lakes up here. I egg all winter even at - 30. Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year.
    Meadow Lake Sk. LBGE, Stoker, Adjustable rig.
  • meister5 said:
    Glad to hear from some fello Canuks. I have been to Newfoundland once and have dreamed of returning ever since. How cool would it be to tell people you live in Paradise? I am from Meadow Lake Saskatchewan myself and we consider it God's country up here, lots of forest and lakes up here. I egg all winter even at - 30. Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year.
    @meister5 Merry Christmas Meadow Lake! Love the north part of Sask, big difference from the prairie in Regina. Years ago did some work for SaskTel, Uranium City, Prince Albert and over in Alta at Lloydminster. 
  • Hi All,

I'm a born and raised Newfoundlander and have to say most Nlers are decent caring and giving people but I may be a little biased. ;-)

The 'Rock' as some call it is a beautiful island off the east coast of Canada and boasts many wonderful facts. Cape Spare is the most easterly point in all of North America, Cabot Tower in St. John's is the home of the first wireless transatlantic communication, Gros Morne National Park and L'Anse aux Meadows have earned the distinction as United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) World Heritage Sites with L'Anse aux Meadows being the first North American Viking settlement dating over 1000 yrs ago, and of course George Street has the most bars and pubs per sq foot in North America. We like to party hard here on the Rock!

If you ever want to know about this place or want to arrange a visit, drop me a line at jason.janes@nlinsider.com or follow me on twitter @NLInsider.

Cheers!
    Jason
  • Mickey
    truenewfie For some reason twitter not responding here.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593

Hey truenewfie I guess your the only egghead in the entire province of Newfoundland!!! What a great honor!!!!

I'll be joining the ranks this spring and then there will be the two of us.A dealer in mt pearl say's we sell alot of eggs,maybe they don;'t know about this site? Have  you ordered many accessories (AR or woo etc..) from CGS or CGW in the states? Im wondering if these businesses ship to Canada and what the extra charges end up being to get to us here in NL.Ever cook moose on your egg??

Jamie.

;)
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Hi Canman1976, I buy everything from Bubbas Tubs in Mt. Pearl, tell Greg that Jason sent you and he'll treat you right. I make maple moose jerky frequently and I've slow roasted moose as well. If you can smoke, roast or bake it then there is a good chance I've had it on the BGE.
  • Hi Mickey, try Twitter.com/nlinsider for all my news updates on NL or twitter.com/jasonjanes for my personal tweets.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Hi Canman1976, I buy everything from Bubbas Tubs in Mt. Pearl, tell Greg that Jason sent you and he'll treat you right. I make maple moose jerky frequently and I've slow roasted moose as well. If you can smoke, roast or bake it then there is a good chance I've had it on the BGE.
    My buddy fron NB did moose sausage at Eggtoberfest 09. Brought a couple of steaks for a mutual friend in ATL. Buddy thought he had died an gone to heaven eh!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    @truenewfie thanks, that worked.

• Little Steven

Mick,

You know you have to kiss a codfish and drink screech to pass the initiation eh?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    edited January 2013
    Sorry but you did not mention that on the phone. First part not to bad( sex is sex), but what the hell is screech?

• Little Steven
    If you were from tennessee I could tell you but you ain't. It's not bad if you don't care about your vision

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I had to look it up:

Newfoundland Screech is 40% alcohol rum sold in Newfoundland. Screech has a name that was once just a colloquial term to describe almost any cheap, high alcohol spirit, including moonshine.

According to legend, screech was first created in the days of the Triangle Trade, when the same barrels were used to carry both molasses and rum, and were only occasionally cleaned. The barrels built up a deposit of strongly sweet sediment at the bottom, which was melted out with boiling water and either fermented or mixed with grain alcohol. This concoction, which is not even remotely like the modern rum, eventually became a marketing brand called Screech. It is now a mainstream, mid-priced rum.

It's only 40% if you buy the commercial stuff. Maybe I'll make fish and brewis in Salado. That'll teach you

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I had to look it up:

Newfoundland Screech is 40% alcohol rum sold in Newfoundland. Screech has a name that was once just a colloquial term to describe almost any cheap, high alcohol spirit, including moonshine.

According to legend, screech was first created in the days of the Triangle Trade, when the same barrels were used to carry both molasses and rum, and were only occasionally cleaned. The barrels built up a deposit of strongly sweet sediment at the bottom, which was melted out with boiling water and either fermented or mixed with grain alcohol. This concoction, which is not even remotely like the modern rum, eventually became a marketing brand called Screech. It is now a mainstream, mid-priced rum.

Will have to ask the experts but, IMHO Newfie moonshine, poured into a recently emptied rum/molasses barrel is called swish, that's what you do with the stuff in the barrel, you swish it around. The high test regular government store stuff is Screech. Some story about American service men and their first pull of the high test rum made them screech, hence the name. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I hope you don't have a spirit called "retch" ;)