Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick grill probe fluctuations

Options
My Maverick arrived on New Years Eve, and I immediately put it to use today for my family's belated Christmas celebration.  I cooked a boneless 7lb prime rib, (following Griffin's method).  I set the dome temp to about 290 and put the roast on.  I put the grill probe directly over the plate setter leg, shut the dome, and over the next 20-30 minutes, the grill temp was all over the place.  I thought that dome temp was typically 15-20 degrees hotter than grid temp, and that is not what I saw at all.

Within a few minutes, grid temp was 315, while dome temp was still 290.  A few minutes later, grid temp climbed to 335, and the dome temp hadn't moved.  The highest the grid temp registered was 350.  I hadn't touched the daisy wheel or the vent, and the meat temp climbed slowly. 

I freaked out a little, and closed the vent door to about a half an inch, and closed the DW a little.  An hour in, the grid temp was 300, and the dome temp was 295.  2 hours in, grid temp was 280, and dome temp was 290.

Anybody else experience this? 

BTW, the meat probe worked great.  Pulled the prime rib at 135, and the whole family loved it.  The grill probe just threw me for a loop during the cook.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Assuming you have checked your temps for accuracy using boiling water or other means, it could be do to placement of the probe.  As the fire migrates in the BGE to one side other the other, your probe may become more exposed to the heat.  I try to get the probe as close to center without touching the meat as possible.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    You can switch the probes to the opposite port to prove out whether the probe is the problem.  In other words, put the pit probe in the food port and the food probe in the pit port.  Remember, as the platesetter warms up it will transfer more heat upwards and not just around the openings at the edge.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options

Thanks!  I'll try all of the suggestions. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    I had that happen just out of warranty. Bad probe. New one is solid again.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Takes a while for the PS to heat up, and your grate probe maaaay have been a little close to the cold meat. Try moving it around a bit - and check accuracy with boiling water!!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!