Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First 2013 cook, Dried beef tacos, Beef tenderloin and Flank steak.

Options

Yesterday we had my wife´s family for lunch. It was a special day since one of her brothers lives in Arizona and is visiting for the holidays, also because it was our first family get together in our new home.

I wanted to do pulled pork (we were 20+ people) but since her brother was visiting we decided to do something more “Mexican”.

The menu was: For appetizers some grilled cheese and dried beef tacos (called here “atropellado” which translates to “run over”, is a salty dried beef, very famous here in Monterrey) with guacamole and salsa.  The key is to prepare some salsa (grilled some tomatoes, onions, peppers and some garlic, s&p, some olive oil and a lemon).  In the cast iron skillet put some oil and then add the dried beef for about ten minutes then add the salsa and let it simmer for about 15 minutes, this will make the dried beef soft and a little spice.

For the main course Flank Steak, Beef tenderloin, nopales and some small potatoes, mushrooms and green onions.

I rubbed the tenderloin with DP raising the steaks, seared it on the gasser and then finished on the small egg at 350 for about an hour, I pulled at 132 (I was busy and did not think it would be done so fast). The flank steak was rubbed with cowlick and done at 400, did not check the temp but was medium after 15 to 20 minutes.

Both turned out very good.

It was a great way to start 2013.

Happy new year for everyone!

PS I missed the money shots!!  I was busy serving and did not take the important pictures, my bad.

Outside kitchen..

The menu

Grilled cheese and dried beef

Comments