Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3rd brisket attempt-help needed

Options
boiler
boiler Posts: 3

I did my 3rd brisket overnight on New Years Eve!  Every time I do it the point comes out great but the flat is always a little dry.  I am going to list exactly what I did and any mistakes or tips would be welcomed.  Thanks.

Bought a 10 lb trimmed packer from local Texas grocery store (HEB).  Slathered with mustard and rub for about 10 hours.  Got my large egg with plate setter up to 285 with DigiQ.  Put brisket on with fat side down.  Began spraying brisket every hour with apple cider vinegar and apple juice mixture once internal meet temp hit 180.  Took brisket off when internal temp hit 200.  Total cook time was about 12 hours at 285.  With the fat side down some of the bottom layer stuck to the grill but nothing major.  Wrapped brisket in foil and towel and put in a cooler for 3 hours.  Cut and served 3 hours later.  Had nice crust but flat seemed a little dry.

Should I be cooking the fat side down?  I have heard fat side up or down doesn't really matter.  Am I doing something wrong?  Could it be the quality of the meat that I am buying?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Did you just remove it at 200 or did you start checking it for tenderness at 190 and remove it when it was tender?  Maybe it was tender at a lower temperature and it overcooked until  it reached 200.  The point will always be more tender because it has so much extra fat.

I never spray mine, but I don't think that would have anything to do with it.

Two great sources of brisket cooking information are:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

and

http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • FireTower
    Options
    I followed Alton Brown's advice for my first brisket the other day. It was excellent. Here's the link
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    The 3 hour hold in the cooler may be a bit long for the flat.  1 to 1.5 hours better.  Also, some store butchers over trim a brisket by removing to much fat...great for pastrami but not so good for BBQ.  You did not mention, but I prefer choice grade or better with brisket.   Almost need to serve the flat like a carving station meat, as it drys out fast once sliced.  Also, did you slice against the grain.  Fat side down better in the egg, protects bottom as the heat source, all be it shielded, is directly under the meat. 

t  
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • boiler
    boiler Posts: 3
    Options

I did carve against the grain.  I took it off at 200 and started checking at 190.  I haven't really had one turn out really moist so I guess I don't really have the "fork test" for tenderness down just yet.

• tays44
    tays44 Posts: 93
    Options
    Trimmed flat is always over trimmed. Try finding a deckle on point on actual packer brisket. You will know its what you want if it still has the packer film (Excel, Swift, Etc). That's where it's at there. Just cool the whole damn thing.
    - EAT BEEF -