Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick not functioning correctly

Options
I have a Maverick 732.  It has worked great all summer but the last two cooks it has been not working right.  We used in on Christmas for the prime rib and now for a pork loin yesterday,  The pit probe appears to be working OK (question on that later on).

However the food probe is messed up.  It says LLL.  Searching for this code states the temp is too cold.  OK - never did this before on cold meat (pork butt, brisket).  I let it ride and after the meat starts to heat up the temp fluctuates all over the place.  100 to 80 to 50 back to LLL then back to 104 or what ever.

Any ideas?

Also on the pit probe readings.  I keep reading the grate temp should be ~25 degrees less than the dome termo (unless cooking for a longer time without opening the dome).  What if I am using a raised grate like on top of the adjustable rig?  ~1-2 inches above the felt line.  Should the temp readings be still ~25 lower?  Mine are very similar when using the raised grate.

Thanks

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• calracefan
    Options
    Either the probe has failed or you do not have it plugged in all the way. If you are cooking indirect the grid temp (food level) usually will not read what the dome says , generally lower but more equal the longer the dome is closed. If cooking direct it will usually read higher than dome as it is closer to the heat source. hope this helps !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • burr_baby33
    Options
    Calibrate the dome thermometer using the boiling water method.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    "Also on the pit probe readings. I keep reading the grate temp should be ~25 degrees less than the dome termo (unless cooking for a longer time without opening the dome). What if I am using a raised grate like on top of the adjustable rig? ~1-2 inches above the felt line. Should the temp readings be still ~25 lower? Mine are very similar when using the raised grate."----------------------- Yes, I see similar grid/dome temps when cooking high up on AR.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Either the probe has failed or you do not have it plugged in all the way. If you are cooking indirect the grid temp (food level) usually will not read what the dome says , generally lower but more equal the longer the dome is closed. If cooking direct it will usually read higher than dome as it is closer to the heat source. hope this helps !
    Given the track record of Maverick probes, I suggest they not be used for grid/food temps on direct cooks. Rely on the dome thermo for those, it is close enough. 
    Raised grid using AR with shield in place to not expose pit probe to burning lump, the temps should be similar to each other, just like you note. 

My probes started to act much like yours, LLL or HHH or reading 350, then 10 seconds later reading 180, then 250. Not too reliable. The probes were the 36" cables. Maverick provided, under warranty, replacements of the longer cable probes, works just fine. Make sure to foil the probe cable junction, changing the foil every now and then. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!