Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Modern Tuscan Take on Traditional Southern New Year's Grub

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
Down here in the "South" it's considered good luck to eat black eyed peas, cornbread, and greens on New Year's Day. TFJ put a Tuscan beatdown on a southern classic. Unfortunately, only egg related part of this was the bacon we made (it was in the Black Eyed Peas and th Chicken).

So we basically did the Meat Glue/SV Chicken again but this time she stuffed with smoked fontina, Marsala mushrooms, shallots and fresh basil. Soooooo good. Wow.

For the black eyed peas she did a Tuscan take by adding bacon, shallots, garlic, Italian stewed tomatoes, sherry and spinach (the spinach was our greens tonight)

For the cornbread, she did a Polenta with Parmesan, butter, and rosemary. It was awesome. I need a nap.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Happy New Years all.

Centex
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Looking good as usual CT...Happy New Years.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Yeah, I'd hit that.  Gotta love them microplane grates - cut cheese so thin it melts when you exhale on it.
    That looks great Cen!  What temp did you SV the chicken and how long?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy said:

147 for 4 hours when you double up the breast like that. normal breasts are done in about an hour but when you double thickness you quadruple time in a SV. I'm sure NOLA knows why. I just read chart. Charts are good. I'm going to eat nothing but rice for a month. I am fooded out
  • nolaegghead
    cazzy said:

147 for 4 hours when you double up the breast like that. normal breasts are done in about an hour but when you double thickness you quadruple time in a SV. I'm sure NOLA knows why. I just read chart. Charts are good. I'm going to eat nothing but rice for a month. I am fooded out
    Well, since ya asked.... :D

\pi r^2\, is the area of a round thang, like a cross section of a log.  You double the radius (or diameter) and you get more than double the area you need to cook - more like 4x.

3.14 x 2^2 = (2" radius - 4" diameter log) = 12.5 square inches.
    3.14 x 4^2 = (4" radius - 8" diameter log) = 50.2 square inches.  >4x more area/mass

I'll be on a rice a bean sprout diet for a while.  Right after I eat a few pounds of this bacon I just finished smoking.

Very interesting.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cazzy said:

\pi r^2\, is the area of a round thang, like a cross section of a log.  You double the radius (or diameter) and you get more than double the area you need to cook - more like 4x.

3.14 x 4^2 = (4" radius - 8" diameter log) = 50.2 square inches.  >4x more area/mass

I'll be on a rice a bean sprout diet for a while.  Right after I eat a few pounds of this bacon I just finished smoking.

As Justin Wilson used to say...."Pi r square.........cornbread are round!"
  • nolaegghead

cazzy said:

As Justin Wilson used to say...."Pi r square.........cornbread are round!"
    I Gawr-On-Tee it true!!!
    @C-T-taking it up another notch for 2013??  Great cook-hope all the traditions for the new year work out for you!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    So Cen, explain to me again why chicken is safe @147 SV? 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Yeah, I'd hit that.  Gotta love them microplane grates - cut cheese so thin it melts when you exhale on it.
    Great looking food, compliments to TFJ and you CenTex. 
    Regarding the micro-plane, I've had one of these for two or three years, made in USA and Canada. Amazing how far a small block of Romano or Parma will go with this thing....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cazzy said:
    So Cen, explain to me again why chicken is safe @147 SV? 
    well chicken is actually safe at 140 after a period of time but the texture is mushy. 147 is the perfect temp for texture and safety in chicken breast.165 is super safe for chicken because everything dies instantly at 165. You get the same safety at 147 after an hour and much better texture than having to burn the tails to get the thick part to 165
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited January 2013
    So 147 for a hour for chicken breast is the key huh? Followed by a quick sear of course.

Do you have to vacuum seal each piece separately or can I put a few in each bag?

Also, costco sells frozen breasts that are wrapped individually...have you done those?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Lookin good partner! Why don't you sell me your egg since you don't need it anymore?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Lookin good partner! Why don't you sell me your egg since you don't need it anymore?
    You fire up the SV yet?
    Have been working over the holidays. So far, ribeyes, porterhouse, beef standing ribs and an excellent pork tenderloin last night. Was going to do BSCB tonight but just got home. If we clean up this job before the weekend I'll have some playtime. Want to do some fish asap and pork belly and duck confit. Loving it so far. The queen is very happy with my Christmas gift as well.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    That's all that counts.  You need to fix your picture issue. 

The queen in this household is going to be pissed when she comes home from work tonight....the whole house smells like burnt fish oil.  Precisely because I'm burning fish oil.  Got a wok today and I'm on the 3rd cycle of seasoning - using fish oil tablets.  Didn't have any flax seed oil, and the fish oil is more or less the same polymerizing stuff.  I'm going to switch to canola next cycle because it's getting to the point I can't take it. 
    Are you opening the fish oil capsules? Might this be a task better performed on the egg? Just sayin'

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    hahaha.  gulp.  yes.
    I need to cook up some bacon to mask the smell.  I just smoked 12 pounds of it last night.  Duroc pork belly.  Ate some this morning.  Special stuff.

The queen in this household is going to be pissed when she comes home from work tonight....the whole house smells like burnt fish oil.  Precisely because I'm burning fish oil.  Got a wok today and I'm on the 3rd cycle of seasoning - using fish oil tablets.  Didn't have any flax seed oil, and the fish oil is more or less the same polymerizing stuff.  I'm going to switch to canola next cycle because it's getting to the point I can't take it. 
    Maybe you should have used WD 40.
  • nolaegghead
    That's all that counts.  You need to fix your picture issue. 

Maybe you should have used WD 40.
    couldn't have smelled any worse, and I'm not averse to fish smells.  I opened the front and back doors and it's airing out pretty well.  Freezing effin' cold, but that's just temporary.
    Poor baby...how cold is it?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    48F.  But it feels like 44.  I had to wear long sleeves today.  Yeah, we're pussies. 
    16 F here now but we only get another inch of snow so that's a good thing

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    And the gas company came today and didn't turn it back on when they finished. Both fireplaces are gas and so is the heat.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    That's terrible.  Better get out your snuggies.....

Soooo, there's a pot of cold chili on the gas range, so I dump it into another pot and put it on the induction cooktop and turn the electric ovens on....Thank God I married a blonde. B-)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    ...and at least the world wide interwebs don't run on gas.
    So 147 for a hour for chicken breast is the key huh? Followed by a quick sear of course. Do you have to vacuum seal each piece separately or can I put a few in each bag? Also, costco sells frozen breasts that are wrapped individually...have you done those?

you can put several in one bag but if you double them up, quadruple the time as mentioned above. As long as they are not touching you the will be done in an hour or so. You can use the individual Costco breast and drop them right in frozen. They are perfect. I would add 15 minutes or so if you drop them in frozen