Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

First bacon and smoked almonds

fletcherfamfletcherfam Posts: 797
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
So I just finished my first bacon. Inspires by the others on the forum lately. My set up was to make buckboard bacon (from pork shoulder) used a cure recipe my butcher uses. I split the shoulder in half and deboned it. Cut it into about 4 pieces. Put cure on it last Monday Christmas eve. Flipped it twice daily. Pulled it out and ran water over it for about an hour then did a " Test fry." Not too salty. Put the bacon in the egg for most of the day to form pellicle.

Finally ready I started the cold smoke at around 7:00 pm last night finished it at 11:00 am this morning. Couldn't wait to fry it up so we did. Turned out really really good, a little bit more smoke than I had wanted but figure it will mellow out in a couple of days. Kids loved it and wanted more. The final picture is the bacon with scrambled eggs we collected yesterday, cheese I smoked on the egg and homemade sliced plum jam. Life doesn't get much better than this. Will definitely don't his again.

Lessons learned:

1. I need better knives.
2. I need a mew at slicer
3. This is really easy.
4. Remember tro take almonds out of oven before you preheat it. They got ruined.

Comments