Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Happy New Year Pork Butt

Options
A friend of mine Mike Terpstra gave me a magnificent pork butt for Christmas as my secret Santa. I have two BGEs a small and a large. I hadn't posted for a long time(too busy cooking) but I thought hey why not share. I decided to use the small BGE for economy of lump charcoal. I loaded it with fresh Publix lump and lit the fire. Intending to go for 15 hours it was important to load it all the way to the top near the top of the ring. I got the fire up to 250+ and then put on as much apple wood chunks(pre soaked 30 min) as I could fit. I the put the plate setter flat side down and the grill and the butt on and closed it up never to open for 15 hours. Since I was staying up late for New Years I was able to make sure things stayed constant for most of the duration. I started at 5pm new years eve and pulled it out on new years at 8 oclock in the morning. I started at 250 but when I put the meat in it cooled to 175. The temp then rose slowly to about 225 gradually and I had great smoke from the apple wood chunks. I closed the vents a little more until it settled right at 200. Ther it sat for 15 hours. To prep the pork I pulled it from the fridge and let it get as close to room temp as possible. Try not to put cold meat on a hot grill. Then I rubbed mustard all over it and then sprinkled Dizzy Pig dust coarse all over and let it sink in. Then on to the grill. I had so much lump and wood loaded into my small BGE that the plate setter was resting on the wood and lump. Not to worry it would settle as the cook wore on. Better to be safe on a long cook.  I could barely close the lid the butt was the biggest I had ever cooked. Well I woke up in the morning and the trusty egg was solid at 200. I pulled out the pork but and it was a beautiful bark covered masterpiece ready to fall off the bone. I let it cool for an hour now to pull me some pork!!! Happy New Year!!! 2013 might not be so bad after all...

Comments