Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New EGGHEAD

Options
This year for Christmas I got large BGE. My dad got it for me because he is an egghead himself. He warned me that once I started it would be hard to stop and he was not kidding. So i have fired it up twice for cooking so far the first was a standing rib roast that was amazing. I had the meat cut back from the ribs and I removed all the hard fat. To flavor it I used olive oil, garlic and rosemary. I did not have meat tied while it was on the BGE because i thought it would not move because of the weight. It was eleven pounds before I cut away the hard fat. In about the last hour on the BGE the meat shifted back so it was not resting completely on the ribs. I don't think this effected the meat much because i was using the plate setter. I had a constant heat of about 350F and it took about three hours. I pulled the rib roast off at 120F I should have done it at 110F. I am more of rare to med-rare person.
 image  image

My second time firing up my BGE was for chicken. I did three chickens with instant gourmet, the original rub. The chickens averaged a little more than 8 pounds for each chicken. I used the plate setter and with a constant temp of about 300F. I put all three chicken on at the same time. I also added cherry wood chips when i put the chicken on. I pulled them off when the meat was at 165F. I had one additional chicken and took some time prepping this last chicken. I separated the skin and meat and  and placed in between butter, rosemary, bay leaf, onion, lemon juice. I filled the cavity with butter, rosemary, onion, carrots, lemon juice. I rubbed on the outside an italian blend of seasoning.  I cooked under the same conditions as the first three chickens. 

image  image

I couldn't believe the difference in the color between the chickens. 

Comments