Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Cutting Roast in half, effect on cooking time?

I have a 15lb standing rib roast that I am cooking today.  It is about 17.5 inches long which is just slightly larger than my egg.  If I cut the roast in half, and cook both halves at the same time, will that impact cooking time?  I was planning on going 230-250 for about 6.5 to 7 hours until I get to med-rare but that was before I got the roast in my possession and saw the length.

Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Happy New Year!

• GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,472
    edited January 2013
    At Christmas I cooked 2 - 5 rib, bone in roast, raise grid, direct at 275 and it took 3 hours. Happy New Year! Enjoy!
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • DocWonmugDocWonmug Posts: 294
    It is not the same kind of roast, but with pork butts, you can base the time on the largest single roast. Plus a little lagniappe according to some folks, but I think time is based on the largest single one.
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 7,623

It's really the diameter of the roast that determines the cook-time once you get a good sized roast.  Here's a great link about that whole topic- Lots of great recipes and tips here.  Happy New Year!

Louisville   L & S BGEs