Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cutting Roast in half, effect on cooking time?

I have a 15lb standing rib roast that I am cooking today.  It is about 17.5 inches long which is just slightly larger than my egg.  If I cut the roast in half, and cook both halves at the same time, will that impact cooking time?  I was planning on going 230-250 for about 6.5 to 7 hours until I get to med-rare but that was before I got the roast in my possession and saw the length.

Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Happy New Year!
·

Comments

• GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,460
    edited January 2013
    At Christmas I cooked 2 - 5 rib, bone in roast, raise grid, direct at 275 and it took 3 hours. Happy New Year! Enjoy!
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • DocWonmugDocWonmug Posts: 266
    It is not the same kind of roast, but with pork butts, you can base the time on the largest single roast. Plus a little lagniappe according to some folks, but I think time is based on the largest single one.
    LBGE
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,635

It's really the diameter of the roast that determines the cook-time once you get a good sized roast.  Here's a great link about that whole topic-

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html Lots of great recipes and tips here.  Happy New Year!

Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·