Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Pizza help

I cooked a couple pizzas for the first time Saturday night and they didn't turn out to be very good. I cooked on indirect heat and could only get my dome temp to around 475. Had dome temp 800 before putting the plate-setter in. When I took the first pizza off it looked great. When you took a bite it tasted like Charcoal. Is this because the fire was not hot enough or does it have to do with my charcoal. I was using Kroger brand lump. I usually use cowboy, but thought I would try this. If anyone can help me me get rid of the charcoal/smoke taste it is greatly appreciated. Happy New Year.

Comments

• Hey @skydogg41, The best success I've had with pizza's has been at ~600 or so. I think 800 might have been too high, but I'm willing to bet 475 is a bit too low. I'd give the PS longer to come up to temp before putting the first pie on. There are a lot of threads on here with great advice for cooking pizzas, so I bet you can find the solution you're looking for.

I've never used the lump in question, so I can't comment on that part.

Best -
    B_B
    Badger at heart, living in SoCal

Carlsbad, CA
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,081
    You probably did not let the smoke clear. I usually wait 45 minutes to 1 hour after lighting the BGE...,
  • Usually you start the egg, drop in the setter, grid and pizza stone (whatever set-up you like) and with bottom vent wide open, DFMT off - let her go. I like pizza at 500-550. Works for my dough and topping mix. Once the temp climbs close to 500, I put the DFMT back on, petals wide open and the petal wheel slid to the side so I have a half moon and 1/2 the petals. On my MBGE this seems to hold at about 500-550. 
    You must have somehow choked the fire, that's why you had the bitter charcoal taste, I'd think. 
    Let your stone, egg stabilize at target for 15-20 minutes before you put your pie in.
    Delta B.C., Canuckistan - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • Thanks for the feed back guys. If your stone is super hot how long are you cooking the pizza at 500-550? 5 minutes.
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,117
    Skydogg41 said:
    Thanks for the feed back guys. If your stone is super hot how long are you cooking the pizza at 500-550? 5 minutes.
    That will depend on your dough and the thickness of your crust.  I usually put my dough and the sauce on for 5-6 minutes, then I take the pizza out and put the toppings on, and then back in for another 5 minutes or so.  Different nights the times will be different, but it works a lot better for me if I do the crust/sauce first and then finishing with the toppings.