Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

New EGGHEAD

This year for Christmas I got large BGE. My dad got it for me because he is an egghead himself. He warned me that once I started it would be hard to stop and he was not kidding. So i have fired it up twice for cooking so far the first was a standing rib roast that was amazing. I had the meat cut back from the ribs and I removed all the hard fat. To flavor it I used olive oil, garlic and rosemary. I did not have meat tied while it was on the BGE because i thought it would not move because of the weight. It was eleven pounds before I cut away the hard fat. In about the last hour on the BGE the meat shifted back so it was not resting completely on the ribs. I don't think this effected the meat much because i was using the plate setter. I had a constant heat of about 350F and it took about three hours. I pulled the rib roast off at 120F I should have done it at 110F. I am more of rare to med-rare person.
 image  image

My second time firing up my BGE was for chicken. I did three chickens with instant gourmet, the original rub. The chickens averaged a little more than 8 pounds for each chicken. I used the plate setter and with a constant temp of about 300F. I put all three chicken on at the same time. I also added cherry wood chips when i put the chicken on. I pulled them off when the meat was at 165F. I had one additional chicken and took some time prepping this last chicken. I separated the skin and meat and  and placed in between butter, rosemary, bay leaf, onion, lemon juice. I filled the cavity with butter, rosemary, onion, carrots, lemon juice. I rubbed on the outside an italian blend of seasoning.  I cooked under the same conditions as the first three chickens. 

image  image

I couldn't believe the difference in the color between the chickens. 
·

Comments

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Great first cooks.  Welcome.
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,440

Not your first time at the grill is it ??

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • Nicely done! Welcome to the cult
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
    ·
  • Very nice. I'm new too. About fire up for am over night pork butts cook
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    Nice job & welcome aboard!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • I'm sure your Dad's bursting with pride!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • DonWWDonWW Posts: 261
    Most excellent! Welcome to the circus! It only gets better!
    XL BGE.  Dallas, Texas.
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,675
    Welcome aboard-great gift.  Enjoy the journey.  Happy New Year!
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • cspearce2cspearce2 Posts: 107
    Welcome aboard!
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!
    ·
  • Looks great!  Welcome! :D
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
    ·