Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Celebrating a Blessed 2012

2012 was the best year of my life so far!. Got married to a wonderful SWMBO who is now prego with a boy due in June. A smaller accomplishment for the year was purchasing my LBGE last March- I'm an addict now and love the forum(s) and the experimenting. To celebrate, tonight I'll be cooking up my 45 day dry age boneless prime rib-eyes via sous vide (DIY version) and then seared on the egg with some DP Montreal and served with a large baker. SWMBO can't drink, but I'll still open up a nice Cabernet to compliment. My last dry age was 28 days and it came out fantastic. Can't wait to try the 45 day combined with sous vide. (for those without a sous vide, just try it using a large cooler - works great!). Happy New Year to everyone!

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

OK, my life sucks.......

Wow................. Hope this year is even better friend.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey said:

OK, my life sucks.......

Did not mean that your life sucks when I agreed with you Mickey, I meant my life sucks too........
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Mickey said:

OK, my life sucks.......

Did not mean that your life sucks when I agreed with you Mickey, I meant my life sucks too........
    You would have been correct.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Thank you! Here's the results:
    Pic#1. Out of the sous vide.
    Pic#2: LBGE ready to sear
    Pic#3 Happy!
    Pic#4 plated:
    Look medium in pic, but it was solid medium rare juicy. Bacon and cheddar cheese covered baked potato. Served with Robert Mondavi Private Reserve. Great conversation with SWBO about our upcoming year and time for me to sell my motorcycle and 350z for a minivan or SUV and carseats! 

:(( Thanks to everyone for your teachings. Learning every day! 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Wow. My wife would freak if I tried to serve her anything left in refrigerated for more than an hour. Looks delicious and congrats.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    With only 10 posts to the Forum, you may be new here but obviously not new to cooking. Dry aging, sous vide and a great cook. Welcome (or welcome back) to the forum. Fantastic cook. Can you share details of using a cooler for sous vide? Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year.
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821

Raymont, Just remember your wife is eating for two. That means your drinking for three! Nice pics and great looking food.

Happy New Year

Tim in SoCal

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Motorcycle for SUV and car seats? Good luck, and happy new year.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710

Thanks all! They were great steaks. @Tjcoley: The cooler technique is simply filling a cooler with hot tap water (my tap water gets to about 135-140 degrees), you can change temp by adding a few ice cubes or some kettle hot water. In my opinion the perfect temp is 130 degrees. Given the cooler is a "large" body of water, it will not change temp very much (maybe 1 degree per hour). Drop in your vacuum sealed steaks on a rack (must be vacuum sealed!) for 2 hours. The below rig first time I tried, using 2 thermometers (overkill).. Great results, perfectly cooked everytime.. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    did you use the drybag for aging?
    @nolaegghead: Yep, I used a bag from dryagesteak.com. I've seen others on the forum go without (commando style), but on my first 2 attempts I've been willing to pay a few bucks for some piece of mind the drybag provides. My prior effort at 28 days was fantastic, 45 days was also extremely good, but I don't know that by going the extra time I could tell a difference. (think there was more taste variation in the two primal cuts than from time of aging)

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN