Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

First Brisket

Austin_AggieAustin_Aggie Posts: 13
edited December 2012 in Beef
I've had my large egg for about 6 months, but this is my first attempt to really see what it can do. I've spent time getting used to higher temp cooks, but it's finally time to break out the low and slow. I know brisket has a pretty tough rep, but figured, what the heck why not go for it.

From the start I figure I have a couple strikes against me:
1) This is my first attempt
2) The only brisket that I could get my hands on for now is a 7lb select trimmed packer from HEB. I'm regretting not getting at least a 9 or 10lb.

That said, It's been fun figuring out which rub etc. I was going to begin experimenting with. I decided to go with one I found here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-920806.html

I cut @thirdeye's recipe for the dry rub in half - just enough for my cut.
I also decided to throw on a slather of yellow mustard and Worcestershire that he mentions here: http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html?m=1

I'm planning on using an inverted plate setter with drip pan and standard grid on top. The plan is to put in the brisket fat side down, leave it closed until I get an internal temp of ~190 and then check for tenderness. Going to shoot for a grid temp of 250 (using an iGrill remote thermometer), I figure it will take about 12 hours on the egg then will rest it for a couple of hours in a cooler before digging in.

Going get the grill going around 10pm and let it do it's thing overnight. Here's hoping.

Comments