Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Thermometer Questions

I was wondering what type of monitoring devices I need to make best use of LGBE. Due to price concerns, what combination would be best?

(1) Thermapen and cheap Thermoworks oven thermometer/timer now;

(2) Thermapen and just use dome thermometer now, Maverick ET-732 later (month or 2 down the line); or

(3) Thermoworks TW8060 and Thermoworks cheap instant read (RT600 for $19 or RT301A for $16) now with upgrade to Thermapen down the line.

"America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 13,982

Thermapen first off no matter what. Use it inside and outside as it is a pro tool.

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini.... 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 4,851
    Beyond the thermapen, a good remote thermo so you can monitor the cook w/o having to open the BGE all the time.  Maverick is the rig of choice-I am using a scientific american and it works just fine.
    Louisville
  • lousubcap said:
    Beyond the thermapen, a good remote thermo so you can monitor the cook w/o having to open the BGE all the time.  Maverick is the rig of choice-I am using a scientific american and it works just fine.
    +1, I use the Mav for low and slow only and to monitor pit temp for other roasts, as a timer - so I do not leave my starter in for more than 8 minutes.....
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • I am not allowed to get an expensive instant read and an expensive remote thermo right now. I need to get a cheap one or the other and upgrade later down the road. I can get a cheap thermo works oven thermo and the thermapen but that won't give me the grill temp. Or I can get a cheaper instant read (RT301A reads in 5 sec with good accuracy below 300) and a good remote thermo. I would then upgrade the inferior component down the line (likely in June).
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams