Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Head Scratcher...no stall on whole brisket...14 lb done in 9 hrs?

Crispix49Crispix49 Posts: 190
First, I want to say that I am a long-time lurker, now a first time poster.  Bought an LBGE January of this year, and I have lurked on this forum for months gleaning nuggets of wisdom from many of you; so thank you for that.

I feel like I am not an expert, but not a beginner on the BGE anymore; my most recent cook has me wondering what happened and prompted me to actually post a question.  Put on a whole 14 lb brisket (rubbed w/Cow Lick and used about 5 or 6 mesquite wood chunks).  Got Egg stabilized at around 280 prior to putting on the meat at 11pm last night figuring about 1 hour per lb cook time...I then waited an hour+ before going to be to let temp get back up.  Woke up a couple times in the night to check remote therm and I noticed the grid temp hovered between 220-240, but the food temp was rising quckly.  Since I have done a number of butts and this being my 3rd brisket, I figured that a major stall around 170ish was about to happen...but it didn't.  Kept climbing up to 195 when I started checking it with a fork.  I pulled at around 200 and FTC'd, cut off point and made burnt ends with it. 

Is this common or is this a case of "every peice of meat is different"?

The core issue here is I pulled off the meat around 8am; the brisket was supposed to be for a New Years Eve block party starting at 6pm, so I will have to re-heat later, which I know is not optimal for brisket.

Thanks again, and I look forward to actually contributing more to the conversations now.

Atlanta suburbs
Large & Mini owner
UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
·

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,426
    Welcome to the cult-and "every piece of meat is different".  Of course, the higher the cook temp the less of a stall you will see.  Just a reminder about who/what is in charge.  Enjoy the brisket and the party!
    Louisville
    ·
  • I usually cook briskets at around 275-300 and I have had plenty that had very short stalls even without foiling them. In my experience, the fattier briskets do not have as much of a stall as the leaner ones. Stall or no stall, the end result is what matters. Enjoy your brisket!
    ·
  • OK, thanks fellas.  I appreciate the feedback.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
    ·