Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Years Day Butt Question

I've done pulled pork a few times in the past and it's turned out really good. But tomorrow, I'm throwing a lunch for 30 people or so and watching bowl games, so I want to make sure it the s out great. I have two 10 lb Boston butts to throw on my large tonight. If the lunch starts at noon, and I want to cook some ribs before people get here, how should I plan this? With 20 lbs pork on a Large Egg, how much time should I allow to make sure they are done by 7-8am, assuming I FTC after I pull them off the Egg, while the ribs are cooking? Or, should I cook ribs today before the Butts go on, and just warm them up tomorrow? I've never reheated ribs like that before...would that dry them out too much?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Each butt will cook at their own pace so if you can monitor both as you get close-I would follow your sequence-butts, FTC then ribs.  Your butts will cook as 10# butts (not 20) so you have a few options depending on the dome temperature you want to run with.  Since you have done some before use that as a guide-I would err on trying to have them done no later than 6 AM to give you some margin.  If you run with around 250-260*f on the dome you can expect around 1.5-2.0 hrs/#; if you go up to the 300+/- on the dome you can expect around 1-1.25hrs/# but the butt is in charge.  Just have plenty of adult beverages in case you run a little long.  Good luck.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Awesome. Thanks. So you don't think the ribs would be good cooked today and reheated prior to eating tomorrow? That would make my life a lot easier, but quality and taste take precedence over convenience. I want this to be good.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    I have not reheated ribs so didn't look at that-but to your point-getting them done today opens quite a window for you.  If you do "wet" ribs you could likely get away with cooking them today and warming them in an oven (around 160-170*F) with your sauce added then.  "Dry" ribs may be problematic-perhaps a ribs eggspert will be along. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.