Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

First ever smoke

Hey everyone, I am a newcomer to the forum and to the smoking world all together.  Today, I tried smoking for the very first time!   My girlfriend gave me a LBGE for Christmas this year and I have been itching to try it out.  Last night, I threw on a 7.5lb Boston butt over hickory chunks and pecan chips with a dome temp of 235-255.  At about 10am, I ran out of lump in the Egg.  I thought I had added enough, but I guess I was wrong (lesson learned).  After making some minor adjustments, I was back in business and smoking again!  I believe one of the problems was that I let the initial dome temp get too high when getting started (it got to almost 400 degrees).  The butt stalled at around 172 for about two hours, but I kept calm and smoked on making no adjustments until it reached an IT of 200.  The bone pulled out of the meat with ease and was extremely moist.  I am very pleased with the outcome and am excited to be a member this forum and to learn my way in the smoking world!  Below, you will see the final product! 
Hunter - Oxford, MS

LBGE December 2012

Comments