Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

new egghead

daffy1909daffy1909 Posts: 452
edited December 2012 in EggHead Forum
im firing up my new large egg for the first time tonite (making ribs).just looking for tips on time,heat,wood chips,that sort of thing.can anyone help?thanks!
·

Comments

• I usually follow the Car Wash Mike's method. Turns out a great product every time.

Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, and Mini BGEs
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,113
    Turbo Ribs::::::::::::::::::::::::
    Did baby backs for lunch a while back. (Sorry but I can't remember who I got this from.)
    350 indirect 1hr 40 min.
    Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs.
    Note: with or w/o mustard works
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • thanks biggreenbamagriller!i think ill try this,i like the low and slow methods,more time for beverages!ill let u know how it turns out!thanks again!
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,572
    edited December 2012
    Welcome @daffy1909 Ribs are often viewed as being good depending on what you are used to and like. The two bookends are basically a slow cooked "dry" rib, like those noted by Mickey (turbo) and BamaGriller (4-5 hour) above and "wet" ribs, Often called 3-2-1 ribs, basically smoked indirect at 225-250 for 2-3 hours, foiled with "juice/wine" for 1-2 hours and then sauced for 1/2-1 hour. 

Although I prefer a dry more competition style rib, SWMBO prefers the fall off the bone very moist wet style rib. Both are good. IMHO wet style ribs are very overcooked - but that's just what she likes. 

Wet ribs are easier with a guaranteed finish as you learn your egg's temp control. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,042
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  All great info above-just experiment and you will find the method(s) that work for you with ribs and everything else you can cook on the BGE.
    Louisville
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,855
    Welcome...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·