Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

First ever smoke

Hey everyone, I am a newcomer to the forum and to the smoking world all together.  Today, I tried smoking for the very first time!   My girlfriend gave me a LBGE for Christmas this year and I have been itching to try it out.  Last night, I threw on a 7.5lb Boston butt over hickory chunks and pecan chips with a dome temp of 235-255.  At about 10am, I ran out of lump in the Egg.  I thought I had added enough, but I guess I was wrong (lesson learned).  After making some minor adjustments, I was back in business and smoking again!  I believe one of the problems was that I let the initial dome temp get too high when getting started (it got to almost 400 degrees).  The butt stalled at around 172 for about two hours, but I kept calm and smoked on making no adjustments until it reached an IT of 200.  The bone pulled out of the meat with ease and was extremely moist.  I am very pleased with the outcome and am excited to be a member this forum and to learn my way in the smoking world!  Below, you will see the final product! 
Hunter - Oxford, MS

LBGE December 2012

Comments