Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Maverick 732 problem

My dome temp reads 265 but my maverick grill temp is reading 325! WTF?!?
Large BGE Dallas, TX
·

Comments

• McStewMcStew Posts: 454
    I'd check them both in boiling water and see what one if off
    Marina Del Rey CA 
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,641
    Is there anything between the grill probe and the burning lump?

·
  • bhuggbhugg Posts: 184
    My plate setter is in.
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,641
    Ok.  Just checking.  If you have the probe too far to the edge where it's getting some direct heat, it'll read high.  The probe needs to be shielded from all IR radiation from the burning lump in the "shadow" of the plate setter.  It should read the same or lower.  Also, check the calibration of the dome thermometer by putting it in some boiling water. Should read 212 if you're at sea level.

·
  • bhuggbhugg Posts: 184
    It's going down now. I bet it was getting direct heat.
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
    ·
  • Because the egg is a tad warmer to the rear, I suggest you drop your setter in with one leg at the 12:00 0'clock position, next to the hinge. The others will be at the 8:00 and 4:00 positions. Put your pit probe over the setter leg on either side as appropriate, making sure the probe is not directly exposed to burning lump. 
    Also have found that the pit probe will read hotter when the egg is first fired. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·