Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Publix pizza dough?

War_Eagle_2244War_Eagle_2244 Posts: 85
edited December 2012 in EggHead Forum

Is the premade pizza dough at Publix pretty good or should I get something at a local pizza joint or something?  At what temp should I cook the Publix dough?   Also, any recommendations for a good store bought pizza sauce?  TIA

·

Comments

• I buy pizza dough at Trader Joe's.  It's good. 
    ·
  • SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,284
    We use the Publix pizza dough a lot since it is convenient. They're good, not great. We let them sit at room temp for 1/2 - 1 hr. and spin them into pies (I used to work at Dino's Pizza). They don't like real high heat, though. I cook them on a stablized hot pizza stone indirect (i.e. another stone below) at 400F using parchment paper for at least the first few minutes and sometimes the whole cook. They take about ten minutes and we rotate them 180 degrees midway. Hope that helps! 
    ·
  • What SeveW said
    :)

Pics are all Publix dough from different cooks.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • I've used the Publix pizza dough a few times and the pizzas were good, though I could never get the bottom as crispy as I wanted.  I tried getting the stone good and hot first, and I still didn't get a good crisp.  I started making my own dough and I like it better.  Super thin and crispy.
    ·
  • brownbwbrownbw Posts: 111
    I have tried it and was not impressed. I started making my own using some recipes from

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php

used King Arthur Bread Flour. It was delicious. (I think it was the mellow mushroom recipe)

Auburn, AL
    ·
  • dlk7dlk7 Posts: 1,003
    I use publix pizza dough agree with Steve - cook at 400 to 425 on parchment paper and they turn out great.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

·
  • I always use the dough from Publix & I like it.  I'm too lazy to make my own. :)
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
    ·
  • I sometimes use the Publix dough when I am lazy. I find it to be ok, but not amazing.

I usually have a tub of "Artisan bread in 5 minutes a day" in the fridge which turns out a pretty good pizza dough.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
    ·