Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

baked potatoes

How do you get the course salt to stay on the potatoe skin?  I know I have eaten them in resturants before.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

·

Comments

• Rick1Rick1 Posts: 77
    I use EVOO.
    ·
  • Greeno55Greeno55 Posts: 571
    Rick1 said:
    I use EVOO.

+1 for Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Use it ALLLLLL the time for just about any rub or seasoning.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
    ·
  • Rick1 said:
    I use EVOO.

+ 1
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
    ·
  • td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 770
    I agree with the guys above. Poke 'em with a fork, lube 'em up, add the seasoning and throw them on the grill.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,013
    Cen-Tex would meat glue chicken skin on the potato, then salt the skin.

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,266
    edited December 2012
    For lunch today ( several other times) I slice them long ways a little under half inch. Get 4 or 5 slices. EVOO and course salt. Place on grill and very good, so much faster than baked.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
    And the first time you throw some hickory in the fire, you'll wonder why you've never had smoked baked potatoes before. Warning ... It may make every other baked potato pretty boring.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
    ·
  • direct or indirect?

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

·
    I do a direct set up 350°-400°, but off to the side of the burning coals and flip halfway through.
    ·
  • Thanks.  Will post pics of the taters and "prime" ribeyes on Tuesday. 

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

·
  • EVOO, Kosher Salt, pepper, maybe a little rub. indirect at 400-450, about 60 minutes. Russets that are not too huge and more cylindrical than spherical. Perfect. I like them with butter and BBQ sauce.
    ·
  • dlk7dlk7 Posts: 1,001
    EVOO, Kosher Salt, indirect at 400 until 215 degrees, wrap in foil until the rest of the meal is ready.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

·