Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Long burn time - 33 hours on one load in LBGE

Yesterdays brisket started at 7:00 AM.  When it came off last night, I decided to just burn off the remaining lump/wood chips, since I'll be doing pizza tonight and didn't want that much smoke.  Took the DW off and opened up the bottom vent.  Checked it after about 45 minutes and it was at 750 degrees.  I left it alone and forgot about it.  This afternoon at 3:00 PM I went out to clean and fill to get ready for tonights pizza.  Noticed the dome temp was 225 and figured I'd screwed up the thermo, until I went to open the Egg and it was still warm.  Opened it up and had a lot of ash and a couple of handfuls of burning embers.  I figure I had just the right mix of charcoal and ash to bank the fire and keep it going.  That's 33 hours total burn time - 11 at 300, a high temp clean out burn, and overnight at 225.  If I'd been paying attention, I could have thrown on a butt overnight for tonights dinner.  The coals I had left could have burned for a few more hours.

Comments

• and you are in the cold no? Impressive

·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    It snowed 4 inches starting just before the cook started, ending about 4 PM, Overnight temp was in the upper 20's.
  • Wow..efficient to say the least. My Chargriller W/side smoker goes through 8lbs. Of lump and 3 chunks of Hickory for a 4hr. Cook. Can't wait to purchase a XL BGE
    ·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,188
    What brand of lump was it?
    XL BGE and Mini Max in Cincinnati, Ohio
    "REMEMBER DUANE ALLMAN"
    ·
  • i saw @nakedwhiz did some crazy test with RO and a stoker where it burned 24+ hours and there was still a totally full box of lump left! It looked like it could have gone a week or more at that pace! He posted it on here somewhere

·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Mix of Wicked Good and BGE lump.