Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first boston butt

Options
I put a 6lb butt on last night around 12:30 and the thing still isn't done.  I set the grate temp to 240 and woke up several times during the night to check the temps on my cyber-q.  The butt rose quickly but leveled out around 255 and staid there until around 10 this morning.  It has been about 12 hours and the current temp of the butt is 170.  I thought for sure it would be done by now. I figured it would take 2 hours per lb.  Does this sound normal?  I have not opened the lid yet.  I want to wait until it's around 195 before opening and pulling off.  I hope everything is ok with it.

Comments

• Matt20971
    Options
    *155 (butt leveled out at 155)
  • Matt20971
    Options
    hitting 176 now so hopefully it's coming up.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    I just pulled two 6 lb butts off my LBGE. Took almost 17 hours to reach 200 internal. That is my second 17 hour cook, although the last one was a 9 lb butt. Still trying to figure out the 2 hour per pound ratio myself.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,342
    Options
    Congrats on staying the course-as you well know, finish temp is the driver so going with good temp info is the key to success.  With the grate at 240*F and the time you have already into this butt your questioning approach is certainly merited.  That said, each hunk of meat is different and you will not be disappointed by waiting til the bone pulls clean and you are at the finish-line.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you want it done faster, raise the temp.  If it's cooking too fast, lower it. 

Sometimes you get lucky and it's done right on time without any adjustments.  A few weeks ago I put an 8 pound picnic on at midnight to take to work for lunch for a few buddies.  I set the temp for it to be done by the time I left - 7:30is AM.  I woke up and checked the meat temp at 7AM.  201F.  Tender, perfect.  Pulled it off, FTC and took it in to work.
    Options
    I think I cooked at 305 grate, that seemed right.
    I think that I have cooked 15 butts or so since June and the only thing I have figured out is you can't ever really count on a finish time. Every now and then it comes out on time, but more often than not it takes FOREVER to come out of the stall. Just let it cook till the bone pulls easily and everyone will rave about it! Let us know how it turns out.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    If you can reproduce the conditions, you can get a pretty good ballpark estimate and good reproducibility.  That's a good reason to get a stoker it makes it about as reproducible as cooking butts in your oven, except way more delicious.
    Temp just hit 195 and I pulled, wrapped in foil and towels and tossed in a cooler. Going to let sit an hour and will see how it turned out.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    If you're going to eat in an hour, you can just leave it out, maybe loosely cover with foil.  You want the outside to cool down some so it stops cooking (assuming you pulled it when it was done).
    Pork was great. Was very tender and pulled very easily. Best sandwich I have had in a while!