Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Rusty Daisy Wheel

I live on the beach. Everything on my Egg that isn't ceramic rusts. Very quickly. I have just replaced the bands,mates, and nest (again).

The Daisey wheel is quite rusted as well. I am wondering if it could be cured. Similar to a cast iron skillet to help prevent rust. Has anyone ever tried this?

The old girl looks so good with all her new clothes (new gasket too), I just hate to cap her off with this rusty bonnet.

Thanks,

Robert

·

Comments

• Sure. Just spray it with a little oil or Pam and put it in a warm egg. It will season right up.

·
  • RzeancakRzeancak Posts: 152
    I used my grill brush to sand it down a little,  add some olive oil and start cooking.  Once done cooking i replace the ceramic cap wipe of the access oil and place inside my egg.  Works good for me.
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,708
    Replacing the hardware every few years is probably cheaper than buying one of these:  http://www.kamadojoe.com/projoe.html

·
  • Check this out. I live at the beach too and encountered the same problem. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1136806/rejuvenated-daisy-wheel#latest

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

·
  • I just had to re-do mine, left it out in the rain and it rusted pretty good. I scrubbed it with a brillow pad, rubbed it with Crisco, and tossed in the oven for a couple of hours, looks good as new
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • Thanks to all. It's oiled, It's cooked, It's clean, It's beautiful.
    ·