Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to achieve raised direct?

Options
Newbie here
Can someone tell me how to achieve "raised direct" cooking that I read about here.
I just got my baby, I mean egg so I'm learning a lot. My sweet hubby got me the Large egg, and the plate setter for Christmas, but those are the only pieces I have. I already have my eye on some more pieces but those will probably go on my wish list for now. That being said - an accessory recommendation for raised direct would be great, but if there is way to achieve this without a large purchase right now it would be helpful.
A few of you suggested basics like kabobs or burgers for my first cook and a lot what I see calls for raised direct. I was hoping to not have to wait for an accessory before I use my egg.

Thank you!
-Carrie

Comments

• Philicious
    Options
    I got 2 firebricks and cut them in half - making 4 pieces. You can get the bricks at a fireplace store or a brick yard.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • lecrams
    lecrams Posts: 116
    Options
    Welcome to the club! A spider or a woo are 2 ways to achieve raised direct. You can purchase them from ceramicgrillstore.com. However, you can cook quite a bit without either. In fact, I inherited my egg from my grandfather 8 years ago and just received my first spider yesterday. Happy cooking!

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2012
    Options
    The idea of raised direct is to get the cooking grid at the felt line, where the dome and the base meet. 
    Not suggesting you buy one, the concept is like the grid pictured here:
    @Phillicious suggests using chunks of firebricks sitting on the fire ring and then your regular grid on the brick spacers. The grid in the Amazon ad has its own "legs". Some folks use bolts and nuts to make the legs. Some use empty beer cans. Some use the spider or woo or adjustable rigs. 

I cook souvlaki on the fire ring mounted grid direct all the time. 

Welcome and good luck.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My first raised cooks were done w. the grill on fire bricks on their sides. Down side was there was no way to have a drip pan underneath. Then bought 4 long bolts w. washers and nuts, and made feet for my old Brinkman grill. Not the sturdiest bit of wire, but continues being usable hundreds of cooks later.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I got 2 firebricks and cut them in half - making 4 pieces. You can get the bricks at a fireplace store or a brick yard.
    Another way is only use 3 of them. Three points is better bal than 4. 
    Call Tom and order an Adj Rig is best (IMO)...
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    All good info-go with the simple/cheap deal first and then once you get run time on the BGE you can figure out what after-market toys you want to spend the $$ on.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    All these are good ideas, but remember you can cook everything there is with the set up that you have.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Mickey said:

Another way is only use 3 of them. Three points is better bal than 4. 
    Call Tom and order an Adj Rig is best (IMO)...

I have no doubt your right but how is 3 better than 4? I'm not very good at that kind of stuff so legit question.
    Boom
  • Deviledegger
    Options
    Try making your favorite meatloaf, flatten it to around 1" thick so you have a rectangle, put some cheese and anything else that you might like. Roll it up and wrap it with a bacon weave. Then cook around 350* until you get the internal temp you would for your meatloaf. Very easy meal that looks really impressive.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    @fanoffanboys. Think if a 3 legged stool vs one with 4. 3 points just bal easier. Can you tell me about your forum name?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    i used empty beer cans and a second weber grid from home depot for about 6 months while i figured out what I wanted to do.  works great and another reason to pound 3 beers before the cook even starts.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Mickey said:
    @fanoffanboys. Think if a 3 legged stool vs one with 4. 3 points just bal easier. Can you tell me about your forum name?

sorry missed this @Mickey I have been using this name for awhile. I am also on few tech forums and MMA forums and people make fun of 'fanboys' so I sarcastically call myself a fan of them. If you ever see this on say sherdog or a cell phone blog or a wrangler forum it's probably me
    Boom