Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pre Christmas Pizzas

Options
To extend out the holiday eating fest, we decided to make pizzas the night before Christmas Eve.  I had only done pizzas one other time so wanted to jump back in again.  We used pre-made dough from Trader Joe's.  In the past, we have had issues with stretching out the dough but this time, using a tip I saw on this site, we let it sit out for an hour or so beforehand and it was much easier to shape into the size we wanted.

Started off getting the Egg fired up around 550 with Platesetter legs down topped with the grid and then the BGE feet and the stone sitting on there.  I still think I will benefit from getting the stone even higher in the dome and will keep working on ideas for that.  I let it heat up for about 40 minutes and then put them on.  They cooked in about 8 minutes or so and are so good.  One other tip I learned is to wipe the stone down with a damp rag or paper towel between pies, if making multiple, to keep it from getting too hot and burning the crust.  Here are some pics.

Pizza #1  Straight up Cheese

Pizza #2  Pepperoni and Banana Peppers

Pizza #3 Artichoke Hearts, Mushrooms, and Kalamata Olives on Herbed Crust.  No sauce, just Olive Oil (Please ignore the bad trim job on the parchment paper.)

Last one was the best of all.  Sorry I don't have any bottom pics on the crust but came out great and can't wait to make some more.  Very easy to do.

Clarendon Hills, IL

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Options
    Those look great, nicely done. I've used the garlic/herb TJ's crust in the past and struggled with it quite a bit. Results are always tasty, but I get a lot of holes when stretching the dough and end up over working it. It also tends to stick an awful lot. Did you use any extra flour when working the dough? Did you use parchment paper alone or with corn meal?

Very nice looking pics, the wife wants up to do pizzas again soon now!

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I've always noticed my pizzas get progressive better through a cooking session.  I think it's because I'm opening and shutting it and it gets progressively hotter.  I need to start hotter.  I usually start around 600 and it's up around 700 by the the time I'm cooking the last pie.
    Options
    Beautiful pizzas!
  • jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145
    Options
    Nice! Only done pizzas once but this is making me want to do it again. I notice you did three. The first time I ran out of fuel after three pizzas. Is that expected due to the high temperature?
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • BuckeyeBob
    Options
    Farley, fuel was not a problem although there was not much left by the time it was done. I did overfill it though but think it should last for you.
    Clarendon Hills, IL