Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Spare rib ?

Should I cook st Louis style spareribs the same as I would baby back ribs? I use car wash mikes recipe for baby back ribs and cook them vertically. Shall I cook spareribs horizontally?

Comments

• gdenbygdenby Posts: 5,356
    The primary diff. between St. Louis spares and BBs, cooked in the same manner, is that the spares take about an hour longer. If cooking w. a period in foil, add the extra time before placing the ribs in foil.

I always cook both types horizontally when I can. There is often a small temperature gradient from the grill up into the dome. and rack cooking (it seems to me) doesn't cook all parts as equally as if laying at the same level.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 20,278
    What gdenby said.  Same holds true for beef - I cooked veal short ribs and beef short ribs at the same time - the veal were done much sooner.  If you don't have space to cook them all horizontal and do cook vertical, you should flip them so they cook evenly.  It's a good idea to rotate/flip/move around meat in general - the back of the egg is hotter.  You want everything to cook evenly.  Watch the edges - the ribs may hang over the plate setter (or whatever shield you use from direct heat)  You can put a little foil under the edges to keep them from burning.