Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Marginal success on pizza - need help!

Second try at pizza turned out better but still having trouble dealing with dough -  couldn't get dough flat enough (it cooked to be very thick even though we tried rolling out as thin as possible)  and had trouble transferring dough onto BGE stone -  any hints/suggestions are much appreciated!  Also I was cooking dough first then adding toppings and the cooking more -  does anyone cook dough and toppings at same time?

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 26,327
    I cook everything at once.  Sounds like a dough issue - you should be able to make a pretty thin dough by hand.  Look up the window pane test.  Try making your dough using weight, not volume.  You'll need a kitchen scale.  If you're inexperience with dough, that's pretty fool proof.  Also, the dough needs to be rested and at room temp when you stretch out the pie.

• Everything at once. It is almost impossible to over knead dough, make sure you work it enough. Let it rise, punch it down. If using a store bought dough, let it warm to make it easier to work. As you stretch it, if it springs back, walk away for 10 minutes, try again. 
    I build the pie on parchment on my peel, which is cookie sheet with one lip missing. Slides onto the stone easy. Remove the parchment after 3-5 minutes depending on temp. 
    Delta B.C. - Move over coffee, this is job for alcohol!