Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Dutch Oven

So I have worn out the search feature and am not having a lot of luck finding what I need. What is the perfect size DO for a L BGE? Where can I buy it and what does it cost? TIA

• ShiffShiff Posts: 1,371
    This is the one I have:

I like the wire bale handle and size.  It fits well on the plate setter and hold a lot.  You can buy these at Lodge outlet stores, Amazon (with free shipping), or check flea markets for good  condition used ones.  I use mine for pulled beef, pot roasts, bread, etc.  I bought mine from Amazon several years ago when they had it on sale for $40.
    Barry Lancaster, PA
  • DeckhandDeckhand Posts: 318

I picked up one of these at Sears when they were on sale for 39.95.  Still a good deal at $59.95.  Returned the first one because of a chip on the edge of the lid... No problems from customer service.  Use the platesetter or other heat deflector when using it in the Egg.  

I braised some short ribs in mine... They were the best I've ever done.  
  • jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 968
    edited December 2012
    I was given the BGE CI Dutch Oven. For your reference It is 12" in diameter and holds 5 quarts. It fits comfortably on the Large & is said to fit on the Medium as well. 

You should take a look at some of the recipes you plan to make and see what size they require and get that size or slightly larger. Just check the dimensions & make sure that size fits on the Egg including the reduction for the curve of the dome.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,825
    We have this one and it works great.

7.5 Qt enameled cast iron dutch oven

LBGE, Adjustable Rig, Spider, High-Que grate, maverick ET-732, Thermapen,

Garnerville, NY
  • BuckeyeBobBuckeyeBob Posts: 652
    edited December 2012
    I have the exact same one as Shiff and it works great on my Large.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Bass Pro Shops carries them (pretty good pricing) and some hardware stores too.
  • I have the Lodge 5qt. Not enameled. Lid doubles as pan so can cook on it.
  • I have a 5 qt lodge DO for my XL. This would easily fit on a large.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Santa just got me a 9 qt with legs from cabellas. 12 in diameter so it should fit perfect. I believe it's a little cheaper than direct from lodge. I will be taking it on its maiden voyage tonight.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • 8 quart lodge

Edina, MN

• lecramslecrams Posts: 106
    Thank you all! I ended up purchasing the 8 qt lodge with legs. Can't wait to try it out. I think the first cook will be peach cobbler on NY Day. I hope to try Egret's chili real soon.
  • jfarleyjfarley Posts: 145
    As with jfm0830 I've got the BGE five quart. I like that it has no legs so it easily sits on the grate or plate setter. Here's a good, all encompassing, dutch oven website. Great info on seasoning, etc.

I've been doing "Don Henley's Chili Recipe" for years on the stove top. On New Years I'll adapt it to the dutch oven to add a light smokey flavor. I like this recipe as it has no beans and explains why. Being a traditionalist I insist that chili does NOT have beans. It's "Chili Con Carne" NOT "Chili Con Carne y Frijoles".

LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • dlk7dlk7 Posts: 1,022
    I made Bill Phillips' Hot Stuff Chili last night and smoked/simmered on the egg for about 1.5 hours.  The smoke infusion was incredible!!!  Used the Lodge 8DOL dutch oven without the lid.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• henapplehenapple Posts: 14,812
    I bought the model with the on the PS. Found it at ace hardware.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN