Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

At what temperature does the gasket end up fried?

I'm planning my first pizza cook and am curious at what temperature you tend to fry the gasket.  I have a newer egg and presumably the Nomex gasket (?), which I would rather not kill.  
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Keep your plate setter legs up (or if you use something else, don't put the horizontal surface at the gasket level) and keep the temp under 750 and your Nomex should be fine. 

We're all enticed by trying to duplicate the neapolitan pizza at 905F, but those wood pizza ovens don't have gaskets, and it's not gonna taste better - more  likely it'll be burned - takes a lot of experience to pull that 60-90 second pizza cook off.

I generally cook my pizza at 650, and it tastes fantastic and you have a lot more leeway to rotate it and cook it to perfection.
    edited December 2012
    I don't worry about such things especially since I cook pizza on less than nuclear setting.   FWIW, the gasket will either fry or it won't.  In the mean time, enjoy making pizza.  I cook mine between 650 & 700 without problems.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    It is going to fry. So set back and enjoy cooking. Then replace or not, but that is another post.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I've done a couple pizza cooks at 650+ degrees and my gasket is fried.  Still have not replaced it yet, I don't feel like taking it apart.  At that temp the egg is wide open with flames coming out the top.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    crabboy said:
    I've done a couple pizza cooks at 650+ degrees and my gasket is fried.  Still have not replaced it yet, I don't feel like taking it apart.  At that temp the egg is wide open with flames coming out the top.

Then you have something to look forward to when you walk away and come back to 1200 :-t
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145
    As with crabboy my first pizza cook fried the gasket in several areas. I have the new nomex gasket the mother ship provided at the ready but have not yet replaced it. So far it has not been a problem through my lower temp cooks. When it gets bad enough I'll put the new gasket on,.
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • If you have 4/5 cooks already on the Egg the gasket should be able to handle 500/600 with no problems.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Mickey said:
    Then you have something to look forward to when you walk away and come back to 1200 :-t
    1200 is high!

I did melt my Stoker pit probe this week when it hit 800, I forgot about it while coming up to temp:
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    As others have said, gasket will eventually fail. Just part of it. When I cook pizzas I typically put a platesetter leg in the back center where the egg is the hottest. This deflects the heat around this portion. Just cook it at 600 and enjoy it. If the gasket fries, gives you another egg related activity to enjoy should you chose to replace. If I wasn't trying to teach the wife how to cook on my egg, I wouldn't replace my gasket, but afraid she will drop the lid. Replacing mine tomorrow with a nomex.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013