Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ rub recommendations

Hello All,
I'm planning a trip to the local BBQ store tomorrow in advance of some New Year's cooking. I need some recommendations for a good rub. Their selection is a bit limited and unfortunately does not include Dizzy Pig, but I'd like to try something new. I bought a John Henry sampler pack from them once that's been really good, but looking for something new, maybe something with a bit more spice. Any recommendations?

I don't know what I'll be able to find, so please throw out any ideas.

Cheers -
B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Look for any "Red Eye" or coffee based rubs.  I've been making my own lately, but the first time I tried it was through Dizzy Pigs version.  Really goes with about anything, and it's delicious and different.  People trip out when you tell them it's coffee based (tell them after they eat).
    Mickey has a good recipe.    I made that a couple times.  Search for it, should be easy to find on the forum.  Last time I just winged it, loosely based on Mickey's, but came out great none-the-less.

This is killer!

Ingredients

• 1 Tbs. finely ground espresso coffee beans
    • 1 Tbs. pure ancho chile powder
    • 1 tsp. natural cocoa powder
    • 1 tsp. granulated garlic
    • 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
    • 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
    • 1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed
    • 1/8 tsp. ground allspice
    • 4 tsp. kosher salt
    • 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    A 100 people will give you a 100 different answers.  There are really a lot of good rubs that you can buy or make.

It is really a personal preference, as to heat, spice, etc.  17th Street Bar and Grill has a rub and a sauce that I use a lot.  Multiple Memphis in May winner, which is like winning multiple Super Bowls.

Only way to find out is try them.
  • Thanks all, I know there are a million options and recommendations, just looking for a good jumping off point.

Cheers,
    B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI