Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Welding Gloves

Any recommendations on a good pair of welding gloves for handling a really hot plate setter?  TIA

Comments

• brownbw
    brownbw Posts: 154
    I figure any welding gloves are ok. ...and War Eagle.
    Opelika, AL
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    The orca silicone mits work really well. Only issue is they aren't very long
    Greensboro, NC
  • I bought a pair of elbow length leather gloves from Amazon. Don't remember the brand, but they were about $15-20 and shipped for free. They've been the best BBQ tool I own...

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Stay away from the $6 ones at Harbor Freight. I learned the hard way.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Stay away from the $6 ones at Harbor Freight. I learned the hard way.
    I have some of those.  I put on one glove and use the other as a hot pad.  Or just work FAST.
    hapster said:
    Home Depot or Lowes carries the Lincoln brand... high quality and low price.
    I have a pair of those that I use for welding.  They're much thicker than the harbor freight gloves.  Cost a lot more too.  Get whatchya pay for.

hapster said:
    hapster said:
    Home Depot or Lowes carries the Lincoln brand... high quality and low price.
    I have a pair of those that I use for welding.  They're much thicker than the harbor freight gloves.  Cost a lot more too.  Get whatchya pay for.
    I think they're under $20 a pair...
    Worth it.  The harbor freight gloves are $4, 5 and 6 a pair, depending on which ones you get.

Buy what you wish. But have a game plan for where that HOT platesetter or pizza stone will get moved to. With in a few feet.

I've tried a number of gloves,2000* mitts and combos of them. That heat will transfer through any of them. So they can't be moved to far. I burnt my fingers enough times so as not to drop the PS.

Seen a picture of a gripper someone made out of rebar and handle of a welders chipper. My BIL said he'll fab one up. I'll sear him a ribeye in return.

Good luck

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    I use some welding gloves made by Kinco (product ID 7900) over the internet, purchased originally for working with a fireplace insert.   Excellent gloves for that purpose.  I have used them to move a pizza stone. But, as GK59 says, you need to have a game plan and don't want to dawdle.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    This is a bit off topic, but I have to say "Go State"!
    The orca silicone mits work really well. Only issue is they aren't very long

Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Bullibe
    Bullibe Posts: 132
    I hang mine under the table while loading lump or when not needed. I haven't touched my platesetter since I made this three or four months ago.
    Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Leather gloves will allow you to remove a hot platesetter, pizza stone or cast iron grate... but work quickly... Know where you're going to set the hot object... Heat WILL penetrate the leather after a few seconds... and they stay hot.  Get them loose enough that you can shake them off as soon as you set down the hot object.  
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Make sure whatever you buy is multiple layered to avoid being burned through the gloves. Whatever you choose they will have their limitations as others have stated. Thick gloves with the best dexterity is what you want. Try a few pairs on at the stores and you will notice the difference right away.
  • I sell welding equipment. If you want durable long lasting gloves get an elk skin glove. Elk skin will not get stiff like regular cow leather. In addition be sure you get gloves with a kevlar stitching that has fully welted seams. Check out www.jtillman.com They are the industry leader. I like the 850 gloves but there are lots of choices.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    MacKay52 said:
    I sell welding equipment. If you want durable long lasting gloves get an elk skin glove. Elk skin will not get stiff like regular cow leather. In addition be sure you get gloves with a kevlar stitching that has fully welted seams. Check out www.jtillman.com They are the industry leader. I like the 850 gloves but there are lots of choices.
    Thanks, I added them to my wish list.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!