Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First use - what to cook?

My husband surprised me with a large egg for Christmas. I cried with excitement.
I am now wondering what to cook first. I have seen a few people talk about Spatchcock Chicken, but the thought of cutting up a whole chicken like that is a little much for me. I don't even buy bone in chicken normally. Maybe I'll get there but I'm not loving the idea of it.  Any other thoughts?

He included the plate setter with my gift but that is the only accessory that I currently have.

Comments

• Biggreeneggie.  Welcome !

For the first cook, just do something you've always done in the past, like hamburgers or even a steak, just to see how the vents work.  When you want to do a chicken, tell your butcher you want him (or her) to "butterfly" it.  They will be happy to do that.

Good luck.  Post some pictures. (where are you?)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Thanks Village Idiot (I kind of feel bad calling you that) 
    :-*

I will give some burgers a try. I am excited and frankly a bit nervous to get started. I guess it may be a case of trial and error, but if the discussions I have read are any indication I will be addicted soon.

I am in Cleveland Ohio so my first use will be in the cold snowy weather which will add some fun to the event.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Welcome and enjoy the Kool-Aid. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nice to have you in the forum.  Consider kabobs as something without bones to cook.  Veggies and chicken or beef.  Sirloin is good. 

Also, boneless chicken thighs are excellent direct grilled.  Breasts, a little boring, but healthier.  Sauce can fix that.
    Welcome - you can do a whole chicken in a V rack without having to cut it up.  No matter what you put into the egg - it will make you into the goddess of Q!  Just have fun and try everything!!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    You probably can't do it do I'll come pick up the egg...hehe. It's trial and error. Just have fun.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Hey @biggreeneggie, I've commented before that the first things we cooked on the egg were pollo asada, sausages, and vegetables,and they were delicious, but it wasn't until we did burgers that my wife truly agreed that the XL was WELL worth it!

Make some burgers and then begin to explore. You've found the right place for great ideas. Give some chicken a shot then dive in and do an overnight pork shoulder. You'll love it even if (when) something goes wrong. I've always found the commenters here to be helpful, friendly and supportive.

Cheers and welcome to the party -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Believe it or not, many people have found burgers to be one of the more challenging things to cook.  One things for sure, after cooking on an egg, it certainly raises your standards.
  • country style ribs are a great cook.  They have lots of fat so they are very forgiving and very good.  they are also very inexpensive.  I cooked some as one of my first cooks and was stunned at how moist and good they were.
  • Thank you all so much. I will decide today and post plenty of pictures. My husband may have created a monster! I haven't even had my first cook but I'm loving the BGE based on the community here. You all are great!
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    edited December 2012
    I remember my first cook, I couldn't believe the temp. Control! Still can't ! You are going to love your egg! It will be your new love! I Feel sorry for the hubby.welcome aboard! These guys on here will curve your learning curve. THey help me a ton!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE