Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Overnighter

2 butts just went on the egg. Cooking indirect at 250 with PS, legs up. Cherry wood for smoke. Butts are injected with a mixture of salt, pineapple juice, apple juice, brown sugar, hot sauce, and soy sauce. This recipe has yielded the best butts I've ever made in the past. I also rubbed them with McCormick pork rub.

Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• Chugging along. Approaching 12 hours and temp is holding at around 270. Internal temp is at 184. Shooting for 200.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • @cortguitarman - what were the details of your "injection"? SWMBO likes pineapple juice/season on pork, would like to try this. Thanks!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • @Skiddymarker

2c apple juice
    1c pineapple juice
    1/2c salt
    1/2c brown sugar
    1 Tbsp hot sauce
    1 Tbsp soy sauce
    1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Heat all ingredients stirring until salt and sugar are dissolved. Inject, then rub with McCormick pork rub or rub of your choice. I usually inject it and rub it then let it sit in the fridge for several hours. This will make enough for 2 7lb butts.

I don't recommend cutting the recipe for smaller portions. A buddy of mine did it once and it was way too salty.

I found the recipe online. I believe it is a variation from the Dr. BBQ recipe. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • In the stall. Temp is still 184. This is the worst part. It makes you think your fire is going out, but whisps of smoke are still coming out of the egg.

Am I the only one who puts their face over the DFMT to get a good wif of the smoke? I just love that sweet smell of the cherry wood.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Surprisingly I burned up all of the lump. I had just a little left and it couldn't maintain the temp. Added more lump. Should be back in business now.

Don't know what happened. I've burned my XL for 20 hrs before without adding lump. I guess I just didn't have it as full as I thought.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Hey @cortguitarman, I've run out a few times, especially when I was doing my first few cooks. What did you do with the butts while you were getting the fire up again? I've stuck mine in the oven that is warmed to the lowest setting just to keep things moving, and that seems to work well. The only really problem I've ever had is not letting things stabilize before returning the but and charring the outside a bit (had one run up to ~400 when I wasn't looking after a restart, but just briefly). Hope it turns out great, let us all know. 

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Are you filling the egg with lump up to the top of the fire-ring?
    If the lump is touching the plate setter, you've added enough.
  • Well, I was in a hurry because I was taking the butts to meet up with some old college buddies. As a result, no pictures.

They raved about it and said it wad the best pork they ever had. 5 of us dusted off a 7 lb butt.

@skiddymarker this batch seemed a little salty to me. I think the next time I'll dial back the salt to a quarter cup.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2012
    Well, I was in a hurry because I was taking the butts to meet up with some old college buddies. As a result, no pictures. They raved about it and said it wad the best pork they ever had. 5 of us dusted off a 7 lb butt. @skiddymarker this batch seemed a little salty to me. I think the next time I'll dial back the salt to a quarter cup.
    Thanks! Recipe adjusted, will be a couple of weeks before the next butt, will let you know what I think...
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!