Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Getting ready to build a table

Hello there I am getting ready to build a table and would love to get ideas from other peoples tables. If you would could and want to post pictures of your table so I can get some ideas thanks.

Comments

• A cabinetmaker friend of mine made this for me.  Roof is high and open enough so that smoke isn't a problem, and the roof has enough overhang to get me out of the rain unless there's a real blow.  Made of cedar with a Corian counter top (buddy had a piece lying around in his shop).  Have fun and RTR, by the way.
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,815
    edited December 2012

Tons of tables here, including a lot of peoples that hand out on this forum...

Packerland, Wisconsin

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 18,046
    Here's my advice.  Find a style you like - craftsman, shaker, victorian, whatever - nice if it matches your other stuff, then design a table using elements of that style, incorporating whatever features you deem requisite, and whatever materials are indigenous to you or your craftsman.  How 'bout that for vague guidance? ;)

• Thanks for all the responses I am getting ready to buy the wood this coming week. I finally found some untreated 4x4's.
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,217
    Tennessee..where at?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

• Thanks for all the responses I am getting ready to buy the wood this coming week. I finally found some untreated 4x4's.
    henapple said:
    Tennessee..where at?

I live in the johnson city area.
  • CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 1,254
    Things I learned from my table so far:

1. Wheels on one end are very convenient.  Get large wheelbarrow/cart type wheels, the table plus egg are very heavy.  The wheels in this photo weren't up to snuff so I had to go bigger.

2. Under table storage is very handy, I copied this from someone else: add slots to insert standard plastic tubs for storage.

3. Stain or treat the wood.  Evern if you keep it in a covered area you end up with spills, grease, etc.

4. You'll want the little ceramic feet that sit between the egg and the base.  I used large full sized fireplace bricks, but after I added the ceramic feet I wish I had used half sized bricks...it would have been a lot lighter.  

Good luck.  
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,217
    I'm in mid TN...was going to offer to help. Would only cost a steak and beers. Check Cyprus and Ipe wood with a hard top. Good luck. If you're new to egging I'd wait a while as hard as that is...just to get a feel for what you need and want.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • amhobbsamhobbs Posts: 48
    edited December 2012

Thanks everyone for the responses I got lucky a guy I work with is going to give me oak 4x4's for free. Hopefully I will be able to start building it this week.

amhobbs said:

Thanks everyone for the responses I got lucky a guy I work with is going to give me oak 4x4's for free. Hopefully I will be able to start building it this week.

Oak is a nice score.  Seal the end grain especially well since those are vertical elements.