Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Looflighter Owners?

Options

Wife got me one for Christmas.  I'm really looking forward to using it.  I typically use WGWE with an electric BGE starter & was wondering how well the looftighter works especially on something as dense as WG charcoal.  Would enjoy reading your reviews! TIA 

PS:  not a fan of the BGE electric starter.  Already on my second one in well less than a year.  Both got mangled up from the heat and another one shorted out (I guess).  It worked a few times then nothing.  I was able to exchange it.  Hoping the looflighter will do better...if not, I'm gettting a torch!!!

Comments

• psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    Options
    Paper napkin soaked in cooking oil.....cheap, easy, no electric needed!
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    You will really like the Looflighter... no problem with WG 
    Kent Madison MS
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    My first looft lighter worked really fast - I could light 4 places (roaring hot) in less than 5 minutes.  It lasted about 3 months and then I heard a big POP and it quit working.  It was replaced under warranty with no problem but the new one doesn't seem to get as hot and takes longer to get the first spot started - sometimes up to 2 minutes.  After the first spot is started the next ones go pretty fast.  I'm hoping this one fails so I can get another that may get hotter faster.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    I have the same experience as dlk7. Lighting the first spot can take 1-2 minutes. After that the other spots are less than a minute.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    I have a friend who uses one to light his small Egg.  Likes it very much.  Doesn't use weed burner anymore.  
  • cralle
    Options
    I bought one at the end of the summer and used it maybe 3 times and it worked great for me. I use WGWW brand lump in my large BGE. My experience with lighting the first spot is the same as some of the other posts -- it takes at least 1 - 2 minutes to start fresh lump.  Mine does get a small spot of lump red hot within 60 seconds, then I gradually pull the nozzle back to expand the area.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    hapster said:
    I'm wondering how long after you get the first red spot on the new lump, are you running it to spread it around?

My total time with the lighter running is about 8 minutes until I have the lump started to were I can be cooking in about 20 minutes. This is with the ash cleared and the vents wide open. Seems like this is a much longer process than is shown on their videos and testimonials...
    If I get the 4 spots started (about 5 minutes) and then move the looft lighter from spot to spot for the next 2-3 minutes, the airflow has the coals roaring hot and less than 10 minutes later with the vents wide open, I'm good to go.  But to your point - their video makes it look much quicker.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Wife got me one for Christmas and so far I like it alot !

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I have a BGE gift card to a local egg distributor but they didnt think BGE offers a comparable product . . is this true?  In fact, they had never even heard of a Looflighter.  It surprises me that BGE hasnt slapped their logo on this product yet . . . 

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”