Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Which torch?

FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,874
edited December 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I've been using paper towel and oil to light grill since I ran out of the starter cubes that came with egg. It works but annoying and tedious, especially if windy. Thought about the electric starter but the short cord a deal killer. And I hear a lot of people here use the MAP torch. So I went to Lowes. I bought the TS8000. Which one do most of you use? How long does it take to light? Do you use the yellow map tanks? Or the blue propane? Do you use on food as well?
Boom

Comments

• ........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

• FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,874
    edited December 2012
    I always wondered what people meant when they said weed burner. Now I know. That's pretty cool. Seems like connects to same canisters as torch I bought, just a longer reach. How long does it take for you to get your Egg lit?
    Boom
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,817
    I have the TS4000 - Lights the lump with ease.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq said:

I almost bought that one. Only reason didn't was the 8000 was only $5 more. I dunno the difference like Tim the tool man Taylor says 'more power'
    Boom
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,817
    FanOfFanboys said:
    I almost bought that one. Only reason didn't was the 8000 was only $5 more. I dunno the difference like Tim the tool man Taylor says 'more power'
    Hey - I would have done the same if I saw it.....  And BTW The tanks last a long long time.  I bought 2 spare tanks that I have not touched yet.  First tank made it from April to now and still got gas left.

Garnerville, NY
  • That's good to hear. Only reason I didn't buy prior is bc was concerned about cost of replacing tanks. Had I known that woulda bought long time ago.
    Boom
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,504
    edited December 2012

Bottom left for the Large

Bottom Right for the Mini's

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,504
    edited December 2012

Got mixed up and used the left tank to light the Mini once and burnt the hell out of the handle.

New rule: Don't use the left tank to light a Mini (No matter how fast you want to eat)........

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,874
    edited December 2012
    Damn Mickey! I wish I had known more about this prior. I gave away my propane tank from my gasser after I got Egg. I know zero about torches prior to today. Woulda been better to do that. Oh well. Cool setup though.
    Boom
  • dlk7dlk7 Posts: 1,008
    I just recently got the ts8000 with the MAP gas that I was planning to use for finishing up some sous vide cooks.  I also have a looft lighter for lump lighting. I've done side by side comparisons for lump lighting and the ts8000 is much faster.  I'll use the looft lighter when it isn't windy or nasty out and use the ts8000 when it's raining or cold. 

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• @dlk7 good info. Thanks.
    Boom