Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Dutch Oven

So I have worn out the search feature and am not having a lot of luck finding what I need. What is the perfect size DO for a L BGE? Where can I buy it and what does it cost? TIA
·

Comments

• ShiffShiff Posts: 1,342
    This is the one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-7-Quart-Spiral-Handle/dp/B0000DDTVO/ref=pd_sim_k_9

I like the wire bale handle and size.  It fits well on the plate setter and hold a lot.  You can buy these at Lodge outlet stores, Amazon (with free shipping), or check flea markets for good  condition used ones.  I use mine for pulled beef, pot roasts, bread, etc.  I bought mine from Amazon several years ago when they had it on sale for $40.
    Barry Lancaster, PA
    ·
  • DeckhandDeckhand Posts: 318
    http://www.sears.com/for-the-home-cookware-casseroles-dutch-ovens/s-1024511?keyword=dutch+oven&viewItems=25&autoRedirect=true&redirectType=CAT_REC_PRED

I picked up one of these at Sears when they were on sale for 39.95.  Still a good deal at $59.95.  Returned the first one because of a chip on the edge of the lid... No problems from customer service.  Use the platesetter or other heat deflector when using it in the Egg.  

I braised some short ribs in mine... They were the best I've ever done.  
    ·
  • jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 968
    edited December 2012
    I was given the BGE CI Dutch Oven. For your reference It is 12" in diameter and holds 5 quarts. It fits comfortably on the Large & is said to fit on the Medium as well. 

You should take a look at some of the recipes you plan to make and see what size they require and get that size or slightly larger. Just check the dimensions & make sure that size fits on the Egg including the reduction for the curve of the dome.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
    ·
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,796
    We have this one and it works great.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/enameled-cast-iron/color-enamel-dutch-oven-EC7D33

7.5 Qt enameled cast iron dutch oven

Garnerville, NY
    ·
  • BuckeyeBobBuckeyeBob Posts: 650
    edited December 2012
    I have the exact same one as Shiff and it works great on my Large.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
    ·
  • Bass Pro Shops carries them (pretty good pricing) and some hardware stores too.
    ·
  • I have the Lodge 5qt. Not enameled. Lid doubles as pan so can cook on it.
    Boom
    ·
  • I have a 5 qt lodge DO for my XL. This would easily fit on a large.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • Santa just got me a 9 qt with legs from cabellas. 12 in diameter so it should fit perfect. I believe it's a little cheaper than direct from lodge. I will be taking it on its maiden voyage tonight.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
    ·
  • 8 quart lodge

Edina, MN

·
  • lecramslecrams Posts: 106
    Thank you all! I ended up purchasing the 8 qt lodge with legs. Can't wait to try it out. I think the first cook will be peach cobbler on NY Day. I hope to try Egret's chili real soon.
    ·
  • jfarleyjfarley Posts: 145
    As with jfm0830 I've got the BGE five quart. I like that it has no legs so it easily sits on the grate or plate setter. Here's a good, all encompassing, dutch oven website. Great info on seasoning, etc.
    http://www.dutchovendude.com/default.shtml

I've been doing "Don Henley's Chili Recipe" for years on the stove top. On New Years I'll adapt it to the dutch oven to add a light smokey flavor. I like this recipe as it has no beans and explains why. Being a traditionalist I insist that chili does NOT have beans. It's "Chili Con Carne" NOT "Chili Con Carne y Frijoles".
    http://www.panix.com/clay/cookbook/bin/show_recipe.cgi?chili+recipe124

LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
    ·
  • dlk7dlk7 Posts: 1,003
    I made Bill Phillips' Hot Stuff Chili last night and smoked/simmered on the egg for about 1.5 hours.  The smoke infusion was incredible!!!  Used the Lodge 8DOL dutch oven without the lid.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,585
    I bought the model with the feet...direct on the PS. Found it at ace hardware.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·