Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Four Beer Can Chickens on one Egg

Options
Help.  We're having a party this weekend and my wife wants me to cook four beer can chickens.  It looks like all four will fit on my large BGE.  We just stopped by the Dizzy Pig store in Manassas, VA and bought Tsunami Spin, Raging River, Cow Lick and original course grind.  I'm thinking of cooking two with Raging River and two with Tsunami Spin.  

Here's where I need the help.  It looks like the four birds will fit on the BGE.  Can I cook all four at the same time?  How long should these cook and at what temp?  Thanks!!!

Stuck

Comments

• erniemcclain
    Options
    I have not done multiple at the same time, but am certain that you can.  Just set the temp as you would for one.  Your cook time will be longer but I will defer to the eggsperts about how much longer.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    if they all fit then you can cook them all at the same time. Sounds like a lot to fit but I've never really looked into it so I'll go with your judgement there. cook time will be no longer and very well may be shorter due to the increased efficiency of the full dome. Whatever temp you normally do will work on 4 the same way it works on 1. Love your rub choices. My 2 faves on yard bird. Good luck and let us know how it goes
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    We told you to buy and XL.  I would try horizontal, two tiers.  I don't think you can get four in vertical.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Not sure your prior cooking experience but beer can can be done raised grid direct-probably the best choice to get four on there w/o overhang on a platesetter or stone.  Go to 160*F in the breasts and 180+ in the thighs-they won't all finish at the same time (but reasonably close) and put the largest toward the bak of the BGE (that's the hottest area due to the air flow characterisitcs).  Enjoy the journey!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options

Stuckman, I do 4 beer can method birds on my lg. all the time. Indirect on a raised grid at 350 for about 80 minutes.  I use 5+pound birds so don’t worry about room. Just be careful about how much wood you use for smoke cause chicken really can get Smokey in a hurry. Good luck

Popsicle

Willis Tx.
  • stuckman
    Options
    All:

Thanks for the great advice.  Much appreciated!  BTW, I've got some peach wood chunks I'll be soaking for an hour before I drop them onto the coals.  Should I add the wood chunks before the birds are added or when they are added?  Thanks.

Stuck
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options
    you can get 11 vertical in the xl :).. you should be able to do 4.  i have seen 6 on there
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    stuckman said:
    All:

Thanks for the great advice.  Much appreciated!  BTW, I've got some peach wood chunks I'll be soaking for an hour before I drop them onto the coals.  Should I add the wood chunks before the birds are added or when they are added?  Thanks.

Stuck

Don't soak and add whenever you want. I add right before I add the meat.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stuckman
    Options
    One final question (I hope).  Please pardon my ignorance.  What is "indirect on a raised grid"?  Does anyone have a pic?  Thanks!!

Stuck
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Indirect on raised grid - that means you raise up the grid, with bricks or a plate setter or something, and you have a shield between the grid and the fire - direct - grilling  - food exposed directly to burning charcoal radiation (versus indirect - baking/roasting).

Yes, we do it direct or indirect.   No need for a raised grid with the platesetter in...IMO.

Beware lots of chicken fat in the cooker for this cook, can be quite flamable with the dome open.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Are you using beer cans or vertical roasters? Also, make sure you have a raised drip pan under these guys, will be lots of flammable juice in the pan.....

If you can, invert the chickens, cook legs up, LS does it all the time. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    What is the benefit of cooking the birds upside down? Crispier skin due to fat draining out?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you're cooking indirect, the dark meat is in the hotter part of the egg - dark meat 180F, breast 160.
    If you are interested in the science of beer can chicken check out amazingribs.com. If he is correct it makes more sense to put your chickens on the grate with a big drip pan full of your beer. Not sure if he is right or not, but just a thought.