Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Eggin' in the cold - any precautions?

Single digit temps, highs in the low 20s (F), snow on the dome.  But I still want to Q.    Does the cold lengthen cooking time or just getting up to temp?   Anything I should be aware of for starting it up?   I know the ol' metal weber sits outdoors for years and you just pile the coals in and let it go, but my egg, is, well, my egg!  I don't want to stress the ceramic if that's even possible.  Please advise
Is it done yet? Is it done yet?
·

Comments

• I egg in below freezing temps half the year.  I don't do anything different in the winter than I do in the summer.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • Sounds good hapster, thanks, .....though that looks suspiciously a lot like Bears colors on your head
    ·
  • Choke, would agree with you, but I do do one thing different in the winter...put on shoes. Oh, cooking wise  -- right. Noted.  
    ·
  • Something like: http://cocktails.about.com/od/cocktailrecipes/r/httdy_ht.htm instead of a cold beer??? :)
    ·
  • Yourself as well pic wise.  Happy New Year.  
    ·
  • I did my first cold cook on Christmas day and I found it easier to hold my temp. Maybe all that dense cold air helped. It was never above 24 all day and the egg held at 250 dome all day. Turkey turned out great. I did nothing different than usual though. Other than monitor the temps from inside! Hope it turns out great!
    ·
  • DeckhandDeckhand Posts: 318
    Dress warmly.  The Egg will take care of itself.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,461
    Cold weather egging - helps if you have a St. Bernard with a little barrel of adult beverage strapped to it's collar for emergencies....

·
  • Cold weather egging - helps if you have a St. Bernard with a little barrel of adult beverage strapped to it's collar for emergencies....
    I got one, now all I need is the cold weather - or maybe I'll just keep practicing. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • May I suggest a coat you don't mind getting a little smokey?

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • Like others have said be more worried about yourself than the egg. Warm clothes that you don't mind having a smoke smell and a drink to keep you warm. I'm a giant puss in cold so I like gloves too.
    Boom
    ·