Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Skillet Sizes

I'm looking to get a multipurpose CI skillet for using on the egg - deep dish pizza, desserts, etc. Any suggestions on size? With the handle, what sizes fit on a LBGE? Was looking at these but happy to hear other suggestions from your experience. http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L10SK3-12-Inch-Pre-Seasoned-Skillet/dp/B00006JSUB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356631265&sr=8-1&keywords=cast+iron+skillet

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092

I just bought the same one for my son's large BGE. It fits in the large with room to spare. I also have the next larger size and I have cut the handle off so it fits. I have CI skillets to fit my mini, small & large BGE's...all but one have the handles cut off...Also look at 3,5 and 7 qt CI DO's...you will thank me later...  :D

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    i have the lodge 12in fits both the large and xl egg's i like the 10in for deep dish pizza little thicker crust also have the 7qt dutch oven all are great .
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • tays44
    tays44 Posts: 93
    Anyone know anything about the Emeril brand cast irons?  Any good?
    - EAT BEEF -
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2012

For skillets, I use vintage cast iron.  Better machined finish, and higher quality of ore.

By your handle, I assume you are in Ohio.  Wagner was founded in Sidney, Ohio...and Griswold wasn't too far away in Erie, PA.  I'm sure you'd have no problem finding and restoring a #8,#9,or #10 skillet in your area for less than or equal to a new Lodge. 

Check out estate sales, garage sales, antique stores, flea markets, etc.  If you go this route, these are useable collectibles....please do not cut the handle.     

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    tays44 said:
    Anyone know anything about the Emeril brand cast irons?  Any good?

I've got one CI Emeril piece no longer available.  Not sure of where its made?

http://www.amazon.com/Emeril-Pre-Seasoned-Cast-Iron-Smoker/dp/B000VPTMCQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Quality is similar to Lodge. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• On my Large, my dome will not close with my 12" Lodge, but it easily closes with the 10".

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• bigphil
    On my Large, my dome will not close with my 12" Lodge, but it easily closes with the 10".
    you sure its a 12in? i have a brand new 12in lodge and works fine on my large 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • bigphil said:
    On my Large, my dome will not close with my 12" Lodge, but it easily closes with the 10".

same here. longer handle maybe VI??
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited December 2012
    bigphil said:
    O
    n my Large, my dome will not close with my 12" Lodge, but it easily closes with the 10".
    Mine's not new.  Maybe they had a design change?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• bigphil
    mine measures from handle to handle just about 18in , 12in diameter 
  • yep...i'd say design change. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Mighty_Quinn said:
    yep...i'd say design change. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Whoa !  If you measure it rim to rim, mine is 13 1/2".  I was measuring at the base.  The bottom of mine says 12sk, so I assumed that is where you measure it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• that raises a good question...the bottom of mine says 10sk. I know for sure it was purchased (and labeled at that time) as a 12" skillet. the old CI skillets were numbered to show what size stove burner they were meant to fit, i wonder what the numbers represent on the new stuff...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    It seems to me it's the diameter of the bottom of the pan.
    Ok, found this.  The standard is, there's no standard. 

Seems to depend on where you measure the pan, at the rim or the cooking surface. My 12 inch.... let me go measure. Ok, 4 skillets:

Lodge SK10 = 10inch cooking area, 12inch rim
    Lodge SK8 = 8inch cooking area (actually almost 8.5in), 10inch rim.
    Canadian Super Store special (under $10, no factory seasoning) 12 = 12inch rim, 10inch cooking area.
    CSS special unmarked but I think they called it 10 inch = 10inch rim, 8+inch cooking area. (came with what looked like factory seasoning and they started off charging like it at $22, but the label said clean coating off and the price went down to $10 real quick.. so I got one)

Anyway all that to say there doesn't seem to be much of a standard. The 8inch cooking area seems to be the handiest one to have (my Yf likes them best) plus it works best on our hobs which are only 6.5 - 7 inches around. (also we have noticed that the 10inch cooking area was melting the plastic case of our induction cookers) I also found that the food tends to stick more outside the well heated portion.

Anyone living in Canada, I would recommend the CSS specials. They seem to be just as good as the Lodges but 1/3 the price (do check for straight sides as some are cupped). Walmart has cheap ones too, but the 8inch cooking area one cracked in two the first time we got it a little hot. The two smaller ones seem to be ok though. Anything you can get used is probably better image

Note: in my opinion the factory seasoning is just one of those "value added" con jobs. It is never no stick, and the price they charge extra is way out of line. Just use it for a "season" cleaning with only scraping (I use a $1 putty knife as a scraper) and you will see and experience the difference. If you get a used one that is a little rusty, just wire brush the rust away (by hand works just fine with a BBQ brush $1.25) and be happy.

If it measures 12" at the cooking area, it won't fit.
    If it measures 10", it will fit.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Maybe a dumb question but does the fact that the skillet has to sit offset from center to fit the handle result in uneven cooking/hot spots? Or does CI's heat distribution make that a non-issue?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Maybe a dumb question but does the fact that the skillet has to sit offset from center to fit the handle result in uneven cooking/hot spots? Or does CI's heat distribution make that a non-issue?
    probably.  Nothing a little stirring now and then won't fix.