Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Sous Vide SideKic

So in our family we get Christmas pressies on the 24th to Satisfy SWMBO Scandinavian heritage and others on the proper Christmas. My SideKIC was today's present something I didn't realize when choosing this was that its made in the USA which makes it an even better gift. First up will be Steaks on Thursday planning a side by side comparison, reverse seared on the egg and Sous vide with a quick Sear at the end.
Lynnwood WA
·

Comments

• Can't wait to hear about the results!
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,254
    Awesome gift! Always better when it's made in this fine country! :)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
    ·
  • I've been really wanting to get into sous vide. Went to try and find this, but the only place it seems to be for sale is Amazon, and they appear to be sold out. Do you know where this was purchased @double?

Thinking about going the home brew route with a rice cooker, but I'd really like to have the water circulation component as well. Anyone ever tried a fish tank circulater for that?

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    BB it was from Amazon apparently they are in pretty high demand as its relatively new at least this version is so they fly of the shelf pretty quick on Amazon. I was lucky.
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
    Trying some eggs this morning need to play with this! Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Set up was very easy and the instructions are straight forward, seems to circulate water nicely in this 6 quart pot.

The screen is super easy to read .
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,581
    I'm sure you will be delighted w. your new cooking toy, err, instrument.

Here's something I learned. If you buy "merely" select grade steaks, and SV them for about 60 hours, they turn out as good as choice when seared, but at a fraction of the price.
    ·
  • gdenby said:
    I'm sure you will be delighted w. your new cooking toy, err, instrument.

Here's something I learned. If you buy "merely" select grade steaks, and SV them for about 60 hours, they turn out as good as choice when seared, but at a fraction of the price.

Whoa! That is a long steak cook. The texture of the meat was good?

·
    First eggs 147 degrees for 1 hr. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • rholtrholt Posts: 368
    Gotta say I am more of a scrambled egg kind of guy...:-/
    ·
  • Very happy for you, now Nola will have competition talking about his sous vide technique. 
    Share your experiences.
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,687
    edited December 2012

Someone mentioned underwater aquarium pump may not be suitable for hot water application, I use air pump bubbles to circulate water in my DIY contraption.

canuckland
    ·
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Hmmm we have a problem second use and the water thermo has stopped working... Thermopen says the water is heating. So now I will update all on how the customer service at icakitchen performs, I have emailed them about this. Guess the steaks tomorrow will be regular reverse seared.
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,962
    If you have a multimeter, check the resistance on the probe.  If it's open or shorted, that's a problem.  If it's not, then it might be the connector.  Or something else.

·
    It's a totally sealed unit if it was out of warranty I would open it up but don't want to do that now. The temp is still rising so I am planning on seeing if it stops at 145 if it does then I will chuck in the chicken breasts and wait for a response from Customer Service. Wife is shaking her head at me and my gadgets :-)
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,687

double said:
    Wife is shaking her head at me and my gadgets :-)
    heehee, better than shaking your head my friend :)
    canuckland
    ·
    Under warranty - yeah, you don't want to take it apart.  The other think I'd try is re-booting it.  Turn it off, wait a minute, then turn it back on again.

·
    Yep tried that. Will try a longer reboot after I see if it stops heating at the target temp.
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos show must go on its holding temp so will just leave the little thermo in to keep an eye on it
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos after 3 hrs at 145 it held temp perfectly
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos little thyme salt and pepper and a 45 sec sear in the CI skillet.
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos sliced and WOW this is so friggin good already had dinner earlier but have nearly wiped out both these myself. As @Cen-Tex said before will never eat chicken another way holy cow it was good. Still gonna do the steaks tomorrow with the make shift fix.
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
    Looks awesome.  I haven't done chicken yet.  I did three turkeys, and they blew people away.

·
    My wife just sat there going wow
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
    A torch sear is fun to do, quick and tastes great.  You can hit every side of it, which is hard to do on a pan. 

·
    Another thing to add to the list...
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • Looks awesome.  I haven't done chicken yet.  I did three turkeys, and they blew people away.

How did you do the turkey? Spatched, or pieces?
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·

Looks awesome.  I haven't done chicken yet.  I did three turkeys, and they blew people away.
    How did you do the turkey? Spatched, or pieces?
    I bone the breasts and put those in one batch, then all the dark meat in another. 

·
  • allsidallsid Posts: 417
    Just ordered my side kick last night.  Should be here on Sat.  I cannot wait to join the club!
    ·
  • mwraulstmwraulst Posts: 131
    just ordered mine as well, should be here sat. Want to give a 5lb prime rib a shot sat-sun. Is this too ambitious for my first sous vide?
    ·
  • mwraulst said:
    just ordered mine as well, should be here sat. Want to give a 5lb prime rib a shot sat-sun. Is this too ambitious for my first sous vide?
    If you can fit it in a bag, you can SV it. It's not hard so do whatever you like. A big 5lb roast can take days to get tender though. I would guess a 5 lb roast would be like a 48-72hr recommended cook time

·