Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Go-to stir fry sauces

Options
Trying to re-start my weight loss program after a long lapse. I've lost about 55 lbs, but still have another 10 or 15 to go, which are the hardest. Thought I'd start by making a nice batch of veg only stir-fry on Sunday and then heating it up all week for lunch. But I need a variety of sauces to keep it interesting. My go to is a mix of hoisin and soy sauce which is simple but would get old if I did it over and over. So what are some simple stir-fry sauces that you like?

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    My quantities are guesses here, I've been stir-frying so long I don't measure anymore, but this'll hopefully give you some ideas (this is for one serving):
    2 Tblspns water
    1 Tblspns soy
    2 tspns cornstarch
    To the above, add one of the following:
    1 tsp to 1 Tblspn chili-garlic paste, or
    1 Tblspn hoisin sauce, or
    2 tspns chinese black vinegar, or
    1 Tblspn red bean paste, or
    nothing, or
    2 tspns black bean/garlic paste, or

You get the idea; there are so many different chinese condiments, try them all with the soy/water/cornstarch base.

Once your ingredients are cooked, push them to the sides of the wok, and add your sauce to the center; it'll thicken in a few seconds and then stir the ingredients into the sauce to coat.
    Now, you can add just a tiny drizzle of sesame oil, you don't need much! (a few drops per serving).  This is a distinctive flavor, and sometimes I add it and sometimes I don't.  Experiment!  

Dang, now I'm hungry again.  Good luck!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    There are many sauces.  A google search will get you most of them.  Tonight I did a pork fried rice and sweet and sour chicken, just to get away from the Christmas leftovers.
    For more recipes email me off line and will share some with you.  Used to be a chef in a Chinese restaurant. in  the mid '90's.

Pork Fried Rice:"
    Lup Chung Sweet oriental sausage, garlic chives, eggs, carrots, broccolli, cauliflower and soy seasoning:
    imageimage
    Sweet and Sour Chicken"
    Chicken breasts marinated in rice wine, corn starch and white pepper, snow peas, baby bok choy,  white onions and s/s sauce.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited December 2012
    Options
    In addition to stir fry, you might want to cook stuff (like shrimp, beef, chicken, etc.) then use a dipping sauce to liven it up.  It should be easy to heat up in a microwave at work.  I like a Ponzu sauce for a change.  It's citrus based, and very tasty.  It's Japanese, rather than Chinese.

Since you're on a diet, you might want to substitute the brown sugar for Splenda brown sugar or one of the sugar substitutes.

Ponzu Sauce

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons Light Soy Sauce

2 tablespoons Lime juice

2 tablespoons Orange juice

2 tablespoons Brown sugar

2 tablespoons Vegetable oil

1/2 teaspoon Sriracha

1 tablespoon Ginger, minced

1 clove  Garlic, minced

1/4 cup Basil, fresh, chopped

Directions:

Combine all ingredients